Various Artists-Peel Out In The States Programs 9 & 10 (1993)

Artist: Various Artists (Captain Jesus and the Sunraydream, Gunshot, The Bear Quartet, Oil Seed Rape, Pork, Locator, Candy Machine, Some More Crime, The Fall, Ashkhabad, Mutant Godz, Herzfield, Astrospider, Posterchild, Simba Wanyika)

Title: Peel Out In The States Programs 9 & 10

Label: In Press Communications

Format: CD

Cat #: IPS 932

Year of Release:1993 promo only

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1993 transcription cd for broadcast

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 7/2/21

Sell Price: $19.99

Discogs Last Sold: 6/2/21 $19.99

Low:$19.99

Median: $20.55

Average: $21.76

High: $24.75

Current low price: $9.89

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 9

Have/Want: 19/8

Where Sold: Erkelenz, Germany

Time it took to sell: 10 years

Where and When Bought: promo

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

When I was at WFDU, the station aired the Peel Out In The States series from John Peel and the staff were all given promos of the show to check out on their own time.    I certainly heard the episodes back in 1993 once or twice and put them on a shelf where they sat dusty and untouched for years.  A German buyer bought a few of them and these are programs I particularly wanted to spend a little headphone time on the rips, particularly with a slow week and not much else having gone out the door in recent days.

Peel was always a BBC mainstay and the US edition was a treat, plus an opportunity to hear European independent imports that may not have easily crossed into American record stores with perhaps the episodic "Yank Sizzler" (these episodes Candy Machine (who I vaguely remember) and Posterchild (who I don't, a Nashville band not to be confused with Iowa's Poster Children) take that role) as well as mainstays The Fall.  The Fall were so important to Peel that when they covered "Strychnine" he felt motivated to mention they had played that song in a show then went on to play a new rendition by a band called Pork.

The only track I remember was the sample heavy Gunshot, whose "Bombing In Five Minutes" sampled Reagan's (Peel dubs "Rocket Ronald") made me wonder if it was my jobs "Drop The Bomb" by Trouble Funk that was used or if it was another version.  I'm sure it got clearance, as ALL 500 press dance releases did, wink, wink.  Of course, the take on the Reagan's "blooper" was made into what I really remembered by Bonzo Goes To Washington feasturing Bootsy Collins.

For me, the track of these two shows belongs to Oil Seed Rape, whose "Rib Donor" mined the world of Head of David, Godflesh and Big Black.  These were always expensive imports I never threw down on, so it was nice to hear this quality punishment.

I've given you as many links as could be found from the mind of Peel in 1993.  You just have to track down the rest yourself.

Program 9
1–Captain Jesus And The Sunraydream*Anarchy In The USA
Written-By – Mark Andrew Roberts
5:11
2–GunshotBombing In 5 Minutes
Written-By – Gunshot
3:36
3–The Bear QuartetGone, Gone
Written-By – Bear Quartet*
4:01
4–Oil Seed RapeRib Donor
Written-By – Oil Seed Rape
3:32
5–PorkStrychnine
Written-By – Roslie*
2:02
6–LocatorSparkles
Written-By – Bergers*, Lakdall*, Varone*
4:49
7–Candy MachineThe Merchants Square
Written-By – Candy Machine
3:44
8–Some More CrimePost Traumatic Stress Disorder
Written-By – Friedmann*, Hernandez*
2:07
Program 10
9–Some More CrimeRough Cut
Written-By – Friedmann*, Hernandez*
5:24
10–The FallEverything Hurtz
Written-By – Smith*, Hanley*
4:10
11–AshkhabadShalakho
Arranged By – Mamedov*Written-By – Traditional
2:52
12–Mutant GodsPhil Collins Was A Stasi
Written-By – Mutant Gods
1:31
13–HerzfeldThe Mothers
Written-By – Herzfeld
2:54
14–AstrospiderRitmista
Written-By – Van Haute*, Kalonji*
4:27
15–PosterchildA Moist Towelette
Written-By – Posterchild
2:52
16–Simba Wanyika*Wenzako
Written-By – Wilson Peter Kinyonga
4:46

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Lyres-Happy Now... (1993)