Crystal Stilts-In Love With Oblivion (2011)


 

Artist: Crystal Stilts

Title: In Love WIth Oblivion

Label: Slumberland

Format: CD

Cat #: sir 132

Year of Release: 2011

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2011

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 7/27/21

Sell Price: $9.99.

Discogs Last Sold: 3/30/21

Low:$2.00

Median: $4.00

Average: $5.29

High: $10.00

Current low price: $4.20

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 8

Have/Want: 124/29

Where Sold:Dunkirk, NY

Time it took to sell: 9 months

Where and When Bought: given, the Fountain collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

One of those deeper voice reverb indie rock bands of the early 2010's.  This was given to me last October by my friend Jimmy, who was cleaning house for a move and couldn't unload a 30-box of titles at the used record store around the corner.  Their loss, a gain for the Reverse Collector and the Jimmy-beer Fund.

Late July sales have been a bit barren for the Reverse Collector, and the titles not written in recent months were "effort listens" I had to dig up in the digital realm. This weeks flurry of sales is no different.  This buyer got about 8 B+/- CD's of quality, each with something I want to write about.  This one happened to be sitting in the Fountain box in my room to be packed with the other titles I have to grab in storage.

So I honestly had no recollection of the Crystal Stilts.  I thought for a full minute about where I might've bought or was given this title, then I remembered the October surprise bestowment.  Well, given it's here in front of me, I gave it a start to finish listen before work.  There were some strong tracks reminding me of bands like Outrageous Cherry, Jesus and Mary Chain and even Joy Division on a parallel plane.  Even has a little Ray Manzarek style keyboard to spice up "Blood Barons."

Surprisingly songs that became videos weren't the "hits."  "Sycamore Tree"  has some lazy VU organ in the "What Goes On" vein."Through The Floor" was pleasant enough and the video accompaniment seemed like a middling student art project.   "Invisible City" I could've sworn I heard in it's day, maybe out and about in Brooklyn, the town Crystal Stilts are based in.  "Shake The Shackles" was the other one I nodded my early morning headphoned self as I thought maybe I'd give this a B+ after all.

A saner open eared contemplation ensued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)