The Geraldine Fibbers-Butch (1997)
Artist: The Geraldine Fibbers
Title: Butch
Label: Virgin
Format: CD
Cat #: 7243 8 44419 2 0
Year of Release: 1997
Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1997 Digipak
Listed Condition: VG+/VG+
Sell Date: 4/11/21
Sell Price: $2.99
Discogs Last Sold: 1/5/21 NM/NM $4.99
Low: $1.11
Median: $2.00
Average: $2.90
High:$5.00
Current low price:$2.35
Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 30
Have/Want: 233/17
Where Sold: Bangor, ME
Time it took to sell: 10 years
Where and When Bought: Sounds St. Marks used $8.99 when it was new
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-
Sad To See It Go: No
One of the better results of the post-Nirvana major label grunge years, The Geraldine Fibbers Butch album was one of my favorite records of the late 90's. It still holds up. Most of the album remained muscle memory memorable, like an old friend that you last spoke to a couple decades ago, that you are just now taking the time to catch up with in a blowout session phone call. You remember why you liked this person after an extended absence.
Butch came out while I was still at WFDU doing rock overnights in Teaneck, NJ. I discovered I liked the album from their new rotation and bought my own copy. Today, I woke up, wide awake, at 4:30 AM this morning and knew it was "headphone listening time" before getting a doze off and rude alarm awakening. Why not listen to the recently ripped Butch in tribute to my overnight show discovery?
I spaced on the fact that Nels Cline joined this band for this album before going to Wilco-land. Nels plays on almost 300 releases front, side and center. I saw him solo at some point in the mid-90's and was blown away. Somehow I totally spaced on his addition while listening and was thinking to myself how good the guitar was and the writing was, and how nice it was to have violins. Positive thought for a late night almost sunrise listen.
Carla Bozulich had Ethyl Meatplow before this band and Evangelista after this, neither of which I've investigated to this point in my life. Butch was a swan song for this band, but Odd how this band was the critics shining star on par with PJ Harvey, but Evangelista seems to have fallen by the wayside, at least in "album of the year/top ten best" sort of terms. You could also say there is a bit of Patti Smith in there in terms of vocal grit or poets stance. Thalia Zedek's rocker stance comes to mind also. Archetypes I'd like to meet at a party or bar for sure, you know they have something interesting to say. Adults even when they were young.
Many writers about this band seem to like to "alt-country" categorize this in some way, but listening to this album reminded me of indie grunge with "players." Maybe it's an LA thing, something in their water that make learned ladies stand loud and proud in the filth pit of the world.
You'll never break her heart.

Comments
Post a Comment