Kool Moe Dee-Kool Moe Dee (1986)




Artist: Kool Moe Dee

Title: Kool Moe Dee

Label: Jive

Format: LP

Cat #: 1025-1-J

Year of Release: 1986

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1986

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 4/3/21

Sell Price: $5.99

Discogs Last Sold: 3/20/21 VG+/VG+ $7.00

Low: $2.99

Median: $6.00

Average: $6.94

High: $15.00

Current low price: $2.38 G+/G+, $5.75 VG/VG,   $6.50 NM/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 47

Have/Want: 770/117

Where Sold: Ontario, CA

Time it took to sell: 4 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester, MA Strawberries New $7.99 in 1987

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

"All of the sudden I started fussing, yelling and cussing. Drip-drip-dripping and pus pus pussing”

Kool Moe Dee was the first rap act I bought the album based on seeing the live show.  I saw the Fresh Fest tour in Worcester headlined by LL Cool J who I got into from hearing "I Need A Beat" on WICN before I was a DJ there.  Radio was one of the first cd's I bought after my vinyl switchover in late 1985.  My rap tastes were typical small city punk rocker burnt on years of classic rock and wanting something new.  I was very open to harder sounding rap records for this reason.

So Fresh Fest 1987 was hit and miss for me.  LL was in "I Need Love" mode but I liked him fine since "Rock The Bells”  was my anthem.   I wasn't big on Whodini or even Eric B and Rakim (!--not til next years Follow The Leader did they become one of my favorites).  But there was one that night that rose above all that night for my teenage self: Kool Moe Dee

This was mostly for two songs. "Do You Know What Time It Is?" and especially  "Go See The Doctor."  Perhaps the greatest cautionary sex tale ever written.   The "poontang" was so great he has to run out and tell all the boys.  But three days later, "Mama Mia!"  The half-Italian in me nods it's head in complete understanding.  NWA corrupted my brain as my lyric completion for the next line "I'm gonna kill that GIRL the next time I see her!" became "I'm gonna kill that BITCH the next time I see her."  I don't know if that is what was said live or my mind got corrupted by a post-NWA/Geto Boys sensibility where expletives reign supreme on record, on the street and sometimes even my own Goddamn mouth.  Kool Moe Dee seems quaint and clean minded nowadays even with his sex jam.  Wanna accuse him of misogyny?  Well the trophy hunter gets his come-uppance in the most personal way and testifies his tale.  Further analysis is someone else's Master Thesis.

After those two songs, my teenage self thought the record was filler, or just not as good.  My 50 self listens to this in a little different light with different ears.  So I'm rockin’ to "Monster Crack." "The Best" has a "Rock The Bells" feel, famous LL-Kool feud over what is proper reverence from the generationally younger LL notwithstanding.   Now that I think of it the potato/potatoe/tomato/tomatoe action made me smile then and does now.  What can I say?  I'm fuckin' corny!  I'm enjoying the album as a whole a bit more, but I still think those two side openers nail it above almost anything.

Tomato! Tomatoe! Potato! Potatoe!  

He is Kool Moe Dee, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Lyres-Happy Now... (1993)