Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited (1965)



 Artist: Bob Dylan

Title:  Highway 61 Revisited

Label: Columbia

Format: LP

Cat #:  CL 2389

Year of Release: 1965

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1965 Mono

Listed Condition: F/F beat up Mono copy

Sell Date: 3/6/21

Sell Price: $19.99 

Discogs Last Sold:  3/2/21 $19.99 G+/G+

Low: $5.00 P/G

Median: $28.71

Average: $49.08

High:  $199.99 VG+/VG+

Current low price: $10.00 F/No  Cover; $10.99 F/G

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 24

Have/Want: 3059/2617

Where Sold:  Kyoto, Japan

Time it took to sell:  5  years

Where and When Bought: passed down from Mother

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A+

Sad To See It Go: Yes

Today would've been my Mom's 73rd birthday had she not passed a decade ago, so I wanted to write about one of the albums she passed down to me that recently sold.  This copy was sold to the same Japanese buyer that got the Freewheelin' mono copy that went a couple weeks ago.  This was also 3 year old David battle worn.  I did give it a headphone listen in all it's Monophonic glory and it played decently for it's "F" condition grade.  That's "F" as in Fair, P is the Flunk grade for all of you that would think otherwise.

My Mom saw the gig at Newport Folk Festival (if not both of them, I can't remember) as she grew up nearby in Attleboro, MA.  She told me a very funny story about having a seat in the very front next to Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and... fame.  My mother was probably 16 or 17 and Mary turned to her and said "what are YOU doing here" in an unpleasant manner.  My Mom also got to sneak either backstage or side stage or whatever Newport had to rope off teenage girls and got to giggle "Hi" to Bob.  Bob sheepishly said "Hi" back.  She said he looked tired.  He probably was.  And so is the passed on story of my mothers memorable meeting of Bob Dylan.

I'm glad I got to take her to see Bob's mid-90's shows in Worcester.  The first time up the street from where I grew up, at the Worcester Auditorium.  It has since been converted into a Juvenile Court.  Rolling Thunder played there 20 years before but my parents went to that in Providence.  I threw a 5 year old tantrum, but they didn't have an extra ticket on their date night.  I cried for the sitter a bit until I stopped and made her read to me. Bob also returned in 1980, still up the street and tickets available, but I somehow convinced myself  and my parents he canceled when in reality he played two nights.  Maybe Saved did the convincing.  You'll just have to see my previous article from a half year ago on that one.

Patti Smith opened that 1995 night and mom liked "Dancing Barefoot."  Worcester was half empty that night, unlike the Beacon show I attempted to see where you couldn't even get a street ticket for a Bob Dylan/Patti Smith one night stand on the Upper West Side.  I tried.  Jerry was recently gone and "Alabama Getaway" was in the set that era.   I also  took her to the arena gig a few years after that.  She didn't like the smoking late 90's hippie post-Deadhead brats on the floor and we commandeered a regular stadium seat.  She also didn't like Phil Lesh so much in the co-headlining slot.  She did sing along to "Highlands," which I was surprised at since I recently gave her Time Out Of Mind as a gift.

This leads to what was her favorite song on Highway 61 Revisited, another epic song, "Desolation Row."  In fact, I struggle to think of her mentioning any other song from that album.  Maybe "Ballad of A Thin Man."

Highway 61 Revisited is so ingrained in my existence and "rock" "culture" at large that it is beyond review.  Would you review "Johnny B. Goode?" "Sloop John B?" "I Wanna Hold Your Hand?" I didn't think so.

Something is happening here.

Happy Birthday Mom!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)