Siouxsie and The Banshees-Through The Looking Glass (1987)


 

Artist: Siouxsie & The Banshees

Title: Through The Looking Glass

Label: Geffen

Format: LP

Cat #: GHS-24134

Year of Release: 1987

Country and Year of Edition Issue:  US 1987 Promo

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 2/8/21

Sell Price: $17.99

Discogs Last Sold: 12/30/20 $19.99 NM/NM

Low: $12.00

Median: $18.01

High: $24.00

Current low price: $10.00 G+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 16

Have/Want: 1335/212

Where Sold:  Minneapolis, MN

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: promo

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

I was big on Siouxsie up until about this release, her "Pin-Ups" style covers record of influences.  The first single was Danko & Dylans' "This Wheels On Fire."  Later there was "The Passenger" which was from Iggy Pop's Lust For Life.

Like Bowie with Pin-Ups of Lennon with Rock and Roll, Siouxsie rolls out her influences: John Cale, Kraftwerk, Television, Sparks, Billie Holiday and music from The Jungle Book all play a role.  For whatever reason this didn't make a significant impact on me back in 1987.  In fact, it was the final Siouxsie album release I added to my collection, having bought her entire discography to that point used.  This one I got as a promo.

Odd that this was the dividing line for me, since I bought Tinderbox brand new and cared enough to see the tour in 1986 at the Orpheum in Boston.  I remember my mother trying to stop 15 soon to be 16 year old me in vain from going out of town unchaperoned to this show in Boston, but there was no stopping me at that point, and she never bothered to attempt to curfew me again.  She thought it was "cultish" behavior I was exhibiting, and looking back maybe she had a point.  But 50 year old life long skeptical me would argue that the "cult" of rock n roll gave me opportunity and employment, and an investment I could sell off in later years.  She could see none of that and thought it was just entertainment.  For me it was a line to freedom from the warped, controlling ideology of the world.  Of course, there are people that will use it for their own controlling agendas,  but blocking, subverting and actively crushing that is part of the joy of life.  I view freedom of thought process as a human right, and an evolutionary one.  

But back to Through The Looking Glass, it's not a record I particularly listened to outside start to finish when it came out, and start to finish on low volume before I shipped it out.  It looks better on paper then in execution and it led to my losing interest in her later music completely.

Start with The Scream.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)