Bunny Wailer-Bunny Wailer Sings The Wailers (1980)


 

Artist:  Bunny Wailer

Title: Bunny Wailer Sings The Wailers

Label: Mango

Format: LP

Cat #: MLPS 9629

Year of Release: 1980

Country and Year of Edition Issue: Canada 1980

Listed Condition: VG+/VG

Sell Date: 2/8/21

Sell Price: $9.99

Discogs Last Sold: 8/11/20 $27.78 NM/NM

Low: $3.00 G+/G+

Median: $12.60

High:  $27.78

Current low price: $14.50 VG/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 3

Have/Want: 48/29

Where Sold:  Minneapolis, MN

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester MA Al Bums used $3.99

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

A fully enjoyable 1980 modernization of 60's Wailers tracks by the last man standing of Bob-Peter-Bunny triumvirate.  Sly & Robbie are here so this is quality down the line.  I can't really tell you if this is the best place to start now that his solo discography has grown huge.   I only know this one.   His solo debut from 1976, Blackheart Man is noted in my brain to check out since it seems to have gotten at least a 40th anniversary edition.

I bought this Wailers tribute used in the mid 80's at some point and but never really put time into many start to finish listens outside the first.   I know I'd bring it to my radio show from time to time as something the station didn't have in archive.  As I listen to this a second time this go round,  I realize how much of this material is stamped into my brain. "Keep on Moving" for one.   I knew the album enough to have a favorite.  The song was "I Stand Predominate."  A theme of resilience seems appropriate whether 15, 50 or 73.  The album closes with "I'm The Toughest."  Even more resilience!

This 1980 look back is now 40+ years away.   Bunny Wailer was still a young man when he put this out as a 33 year old established legend.  Time has left Bunny Livingston still standing today in his 70's,  although his wife went missing and he had a stroke a couple months after that.  He seems to have bounced back enough to travel with his sons' trio, if not perform.  

He still stands predominate.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)