The Mothers-Fillmore East June 1971 (1971)
Artist: The Mothers
Title: Fillmore East June 1971
Label: Bizarre/Reprise
Format: LP
Cat #: MS 2042
Year of Release: 1971
Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1971 Santa Maria Pressing
Listed Condition: VG/VG
Sell Date: 1/18/21
Sell Price: $6.99
Discogs Last Sold: 12/26/20 VG/VG $12.00
Low: $3.27
Median: $9.81
High: $30.00
Current low price: $5.00 VG/G+
Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 75
Have/Want: 3523/275
Where Sold: Chicago, IL
Time it took to sell: 5 years
Where and When Bought: Worcester Al Bums $3.99
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-
Sad To See It Go: No
This is probably my least favorite Zappa period. Side One had such little impact on me that when I played it I didn't even remember the insufferable "Mudshark" track. Surprising that a teenage lad such as myself wasn't enthralled with this tale of Vanilla Fudge/Led Zeppelin groupie exploits, but I wasn't. I heard it, I guess I just didn't believe it. Maybe Robert “Planet” can confirm.
Guitar is Zappa's saving grace when his comedy falls short and "Willie The Pimp" carries this well over two sides. For whatever reason the memory banks remember Side 2 in all its Flo & Eddie glory. "Happy Together," The Turtles hit of just a few years prior gloriously performed as a golden oldie tribute with the singers themselves. The bullet! So Zappa was in full on laff riot mode when I really was just in the mood for him to shut up and play his guitar. Who knew a scant 12 years later they would have an award winning role in Get Crazy?
Zappa knew the Fillmore East was closing. This show was 6/11, the closing was 6/27 and the record was released 8/2/71 if Discogs release date is correct. Talk about cranking out a release!
The Fillmore is now a bank.

Comments
Post a Comment