Isaac Hayes-Juicy Fruit (Disco Freak) (1976)


 

Artist: Isaac Hayes

Title:  Juicy Fruit (Disco Freak)

Label: HBS/ABC Records

Format: LP

Cat #:  ABCD-953

Year of Release: 1976

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1976 Gatefold

Listed Condition: VG+/VG

Sell Date: 1/12/21

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 12/15/20 $3.90 VG/VG Solid copy! Minor seam split, the rest of the cover is good.

Low: $1.13

Median: $3.83

High:  $10.00

Current low price: $2.00 G/No Cover, $2.99 VG/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 47

Have/Want: 285/76

Where Sold:  Philadelphia PA

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought: consignment collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go: No


Juicy Fruit opens for the first few minutes like a borderline stag records you might have to take out to the woods.  The "Disco Freak" is called over by the boys at the party and we find that her childhood mumps were slapped into her chest and became lumps.  And that watermelon in her back pocket is not to be grabbed!  Some sass taken and given.  Maybe taken a little more than today's scolding aestheticians would approve of.  A man of his time, that Isaac Hayes.

I always thought Hayes to be ultra serious in look and sound from "Shaft" and Hot Buttered Soul all the way to the late 70's hit "Don't Let Go."  The other side of Black Moses came out in 1976, if you can see the wink in the water among the Carmen Miranda'd ladies, "Disco Freaks" all.

Commercially this album was a bit of a flop peaking at #124 in the US on Billboard after a run of top ten albums in the early 70's.  This was part of a consignment collection given to me to sell and I was curious to hear it as I really only got Hot Buttered Soul as a CD purchase sometime in the 90's.

So of course with the comedy intro I couldn't help love the title track.  The two other tracks were a dragging ballad and another slightly more upbeat quiet storm entitled "The Storm Is Over."  Quiet Storm is not my bag, I can't critique it with any real intelligence, so I all I can say is the gut, which doesn't point me to anything that someone that loves this stuff might be able to get more out of.  I did the vinyl listen in flat headphones but semi-dozed off during the middle of side two, although I was awake when the side ended.  I'm giving this a second streaming listen to see if I missed anything of note.

Side two opens with an ode to "mellow music" in slightly upbeat funk mode.  Self autobiographical, mellow music "to make love by" and "bring out the beast in me!"  A love man for sure. "Thank You Love" picks up the funk and "Lady of the Night" pays soulful tribute to a French prostitute on Rue d'Avignon that I believe was the culprit of my first listen nap, although it got a chuckle out of me upon relisten. "Love Me Or Lose Me" picks up the pace to close out the record.

This is probably not the place to start in Hayes' large catalog. I'd put the time into the Enterprise label  years of 1967-74 before I went here, but taken as it is, Juicy Fruit (Disco Freak) was a fun listen.

I'd like to go back for further in depth review with the first 5 albums.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Big Black-The Incredibly Corporate Whorish Big Black Interview Album (1987)