Primitons-Primitons (1985)
Artist: Primitons
Title: Primitons
Label: Throbbing Lobster
Format: 12" EP
Cat #: Bisque 8
Year of Release: 1985
Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1985
Listed Condition: VG/VG+
Sell Date: 12/11/20
Sell Price: $4.99
Discogs Last Sold: 11/20/20 $1.93 VG/VG
Low: $1.93
Median: $4.49
High: $10.98
Current low price: $5.71
Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 6
Have/Want: 148/54
Where Sold: Denver, CO
Time it took to sell: 3 years
Where and When Bought: WERS purge
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-
Sad To See It Go: Yes
Primitons are an excellent example of the mid-80's sweet spot between REM and the Paisley Underground. That Mitch Easter came to mind before I realized looking at the cover that it was "produced by Mitch Easter" says something I suppose.
This debut was issued on the Boston label Throbbing Lobster, but this band was from Birmingham, Alabama. I had to say I really enjoyed listening to this band even if this debut had the mid-80's "reverbed snare of death" that hurt many great albums of this time period. The band moved on to the great What Goes On label and I got to also hear Happy All The Time back-to-back since the same buyer bought that as well. I am happy to report that problem was resolved and the mix sounds like a real rock band there.
This was one of those albums I snapped up free in the great WERS record purge of 1990 that I wrote about last month.
The EP was compiled on the Don't Go Away compilation, which is how the music is found on the interwebs nowadays. So I'm going to have to link the 7 tracks of the EP or mini-LP or straight up album and hope you don't have to endure too many cat prison ads to hear the music. The album opens with the chiming "All My Friends." "Five Lines" continue with with the angelic take on REM before breaking down in a chaotic jam only to close right out. "Seeing Is Believing" picks things up and "She Sleeps" wraps the side. I'm noticing the REM thing a bit more on this second listen. At the time, these bands were a dime a dozen, but the Primitons have a bit of an edge which is why they made the cut at both Throbbing Lobster in Boston and What Goes On in the UK.
The second side opens with You'll Never Know quoting the Ramones "Gimmie Gimmie Shock Treatment." "Stars" is in the middle. The grand finale is "City People."
It's enough to send me down a Mitch Easter rabbit hole.

Comments
Post a Comment