Outrageous Cherry-Stay Happy (2006)


 

Artist: Outrageous Cherry

Title: Stay Happy

Label: Rainbow Quartz International

Format: CD

Cat #: RQTZ136

Year of Release: 2006

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2006

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+ hole punch in upc

Sell Date: 12/19/20

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 9/4/20 M/M $2.99

Low: $2.99

Median:  $2.99

High:  $8.02

Current low price: $6.03 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 6

Have/Want: 25/6

Where Sold:  Gaithersburg  MD

Time it took to sell: 10 years

Where and When Bought: NYC Etherea used around time of release

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go:  No


Outrageous Cherry was one of those bands I heard a DJ at a NYC Ludlow Street rock bar called Motor City that closed "recently" (2013).  The song was "Corruptable" from their 1999 release Out There In The Dark.  I liked the song so much I had to have the album and everything else put out. It was fitting that I would discover this Detroit band at a Detroit themed bar, but I think that is mere coincidence.  This resulted in a flow of Outrageous Cherry CD's coming in the mail from half.com or Amazon most likely.

I got this one after that influx, sometime around the 2006 release at Etherea on Ave A, my "local" since I lived on 9 & C at the time.  It was a play once and file away sort of release for me, bought in a stack of used cds.  I religiously bought my indie rock used and cheap.  Americas record stores survived on promo product.  Americas critics were funded on selling their promo product.  Americas labels played the numbers hoping for a handful of articles from publicists who send out hundreds of cds to maybe get a few kind words.

Rainbow Quartz was an excellent label for the time period, made for bands like this.  Hints of Beach Boys, psychedelic pop and lo-fi aesthetic indie rock abound.  Outrageous Cherry bounce around many imprints but were here from 2002-6 for and ep and their 7th, 8th and 9th full length albums before moving on to Alive and later Burger Records.  This album was the final release of this period.  To date they have a massive discography--13 albums, plus singles, EP's, a couple compilations.  

Auteurs like Matthew Smith tend to crank stuff out and move around.  Another act in this realm that comes to mind are Jeff Kelly and Seattle's Green Pajamas who I licensed for a couple albums in the US for Rubric via Woronzow around this time period.  It's one man vision bands like this that require many hours to learn their discography, so maybe it is better to discover them the way I did than deep diving into their catalog. 

 I'm on my third listen and songs are starting to stick in my craw.  The title track, the closer "It's Been Awhile" and the Big Star-sounding "Memphis Stereo" come to mind.  My favorite is "The Songs They Don't Want You To Sing."

A challenging band for those who like to have complete discographies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)