Fleetwood Mac-Tusk (1979)



Artist: Fleetwood Mac

Title: Tusk

Label: Warner Bros.

Format: 2LP

Cat #: 2HS 3350

Year of Release: 1979

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1979 RCA Record Club Edition

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 12/26/20

Sell Price: $9.99

Discogs Last Sold: 10/13/20 NM/VG $16.45

Low: $5.99 VG+/G+

Median: $14.50

High:  $29.95 M/M

Current low price: $9.99 VG+/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 29

Have/Want:  580/233

Where Sold:  Bristow, VA

Time it took to sell: 4 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester, That's Entertainment used $3.99 range

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

A couple years after Tusk's release you couldn't miss seeing it in cutout bins.  Despite selling 4 Million or so, coming off the mega-selling Rumours, this was overpressed to the hilt.  I picked this up used in the early 80's for under $5 in great used condition.

I actually considered this to be a "serious" rock album when it was new, and took it out of the library the year of release.  I think I retained it from my checkout listens than the purchased copy I certainly only played it once in the pre-cd era and filed it away sometime around the time Mirage came out.

The hits are inescapable and I'd very much like to never hear "Tusk" and "Sara" again.  I'm sure my friend Nickie will force me to hear "Storms" from her 50 song playlist another 800 times, so that is the tradeoff.  I retained a lot of the  non-hits (and the #20 one "Think About Me") but somehow "Sisters Of The Moon" escaped my brain even though it grazed the Hot 100 at #86 in mid-1980.  That had the disco prog drumbeat and bass that wouldn't sound out of place on another double album release the same time: The Wall.

Like I was saying, the Lindsey songs stuck in my head after all these years, some I even like such as "That's All For Everyone," "That's Enough For Me" and "What Makes You Think You're The One?"  This doesn't excuse the fawning this album got by indie rock critics about ten years ago in it’s revisionist generational recanonizing.  Firmly entrenched in the “adult rock” unhip realm in 1979, the Mac threw everything against the wall and much of it stuck.  But it wasn't 4 sides of love it or hate it inescabability, which I could grudgingly say are components of the prior two of the Buckingham/Nicks era.   I had to overhear so much of Fleetwood Mac and Rumours by my mom's hand in the 70's that it is difficult for me to concede quality.   I never need to hear either album again.  For some reason I  “recently” enjoyed hearing Fleetwood Mac's first Buckingham/Nicks album ten years ago in an empty Brooklyn coffee shop.  Work breaks can make background become foreground.  I could pass on ever hearing Rumours again unless Schlong is covering it.

I guess Tusk I'll say grudgingly is ok, but not something I care to put any more time into.

Obligations have their limits. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)