Cows-Chow (1988)




Artist: Cows

Title: Chow b.w I Remember You/Porky Pig Factory

Label: Treehouse

Format: 7"

Cat #: TR 013

Year of Release: 1988

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1988 Black and White sleeve, label

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 12/19/20

Sell Price: $19.99

Discogs Last Sold: 6/10/20 NM/VG+ $13.00

Low: $13.00

Median: $22.00

High:  $24.39 VG+/VG+ 6/1/18

Current low price: $20.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 1

Have/Want: 25/49

Where Sold: Astoria, NY

Time it took to sell: 6  years

Where and When Bought: Newbury Comics Boston $3.99 new 1988 or 9

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: Yes

Cows are perhaps the finest Noise Rock band ever.  

My favorite Cows memory is roughly around the time of this single.   Shannon rolled into the Middle East in Cambridge Upstairs with two broken arms.  Or at least the casts.  Rumor was he fell through a roof somewhere.  Or maybe it was just an elaborate gag.  All I know was when they played "Chow" those casts were turned to the audience to punctuate the chorus. Chow! Chow!....Chow!

A fun factoid, "Chow" was released with Yellow cover and label as well as the Black and White sleeve and label I sold.  Sure enough the Matrix numbers are the same and somehow I had it in the wrong listing but after a little back 'n forth the buyer still wanted his Chow.

I liked the Cows as far back as Taint Pluribus Taint Unum in 1987 to the point where I wrote up a little review in the monthly flyer I did for WICN as "Promotions Director" in addition my overnight show.  I think it was called Fear Of Music.  A few articles, a chart, the schedule.  That kind of thing.  Four columns a month of manually typed effort.  The pre-computer era where you had to correct typos with the white translucent corrector tape.  I had one of those at home that got me through High School and College.  It made me a better typist (along with typing class), if only because if I made a mistake, the ribbon would often jam and spit out the tape.  Infuriating on procrastinated deadlines.   While I don't have proof I seem to remember calling the track "Mother (I Love That Bitch)" touching. 

I would still call it touching 33 years later at 50.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)