Unrest-Bavarian Mods and Other Hits (1992)


 

Artist: Unrest

Title: Bavarian Mods and Other Hits

Label: Teen Beat/Homestead

Format: 7"

Cat #: TeenBeat 84, HRS 184-7

Year of Release: 1992

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1992 Clear Vinyl

Sold Price: $3.49

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 10/13/20

Discogs Last Sold: 7/29/20 NM/VG+ $3.99

Low: $0.99

Median: $4.00

High: $7.14

Current low price: $2.99 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 15

Have/Want: 279/42

Where Sold: Brooklyn, NY

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought: Newbury Comics Boston '92 new

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: D+

Sad To See It Go?: No

Unrest's singles alternated between pop gems such as "Yes She Is My Skinhead Girl" and "Cherry Cherry" and conceptual releases like the Catchpellet 7" and this release.  Surface noise on purpose encompasses a track as well as the Argent mostly cover "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" to close out the B-side.  At the time I bought this even though WERS had it for airplay.  Unrest became a band where I was in completist mode for their output.

The cover is a parody of Teen Beat recording artist Sexual Milkshake's Space Gnome and Other Hits, which I still have a copy of. The weirdo collage is in full effect.

I can't remember a specific gig that I saw Unrest, but I'm pretty sure I saw one somewhere.  I do remember sharing a cab with Mark E in NYC before I moved there.  It was around 1991 during a New Music Seminar and we went to a boat party.  I think David Yow fell off the boat and someone dived in the Hudson to rescue him.  I honestly can't remember who played from memory.  Maybe the Unrest themselves?  Or maybe I'm conflating this with another event on the same boat around the same time.

Upon further review, I'm certain it was the Frying Pan, with the lineup being King Carcass, Crystalized Movements, Unrest & Bewitched.  This NY Times listing at the end of the article seems to confirm that.  The Frying Pan was later docked and still had gigs deep into the 90's-seeing the Heroine Sheiks there comes to mind.  But this gig I seem to remember being on the water, but not rotating to the State of Liberty and back like the Half Moon does for Rocks Off promoted gigs.

Usually I don't have to back research these memories, but that night is so blurry.  Blurry to the point I can't remember seeing the Unrest, but sharing a cab with the main member to his gig is crystal clear.  

At least I know it wasn't ME that fell in the Hudson.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)