The Who-Face Dances (1981)


 

Artist: The Who

Title: Face Dances

Label: Warner Bros.

Format: LP

Cat #: HS 3516

Year of Release: 1981

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1981 Los Angeles pressing

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/G+ original inner sleeve, no poster

Sell Date: 11/20/20

Discogs Last Sold: 11/7/20 $2.99 VG+/VG+

Low: $0.11

Median: $4.00

High: $38.99 NM/VG+ 1981 original Warner Bros Records LP pressing #HS 3516, cover VG++, still in the otiginal plastic shrink-wrap (w price sticker), NO seam or spine splits, NO ring-wear, saw-mark on upper spine area, original printed lyrics inner sleeve VG+(+), bottom seam split, saw-mark on top edge, NO creases, POSTER VG++, saw-mark in top & bottom center area, as it is neatly folded (never put up on wall, clean), vinyl M-, NO scratches, plays excellent.

Current low price: $1.00 VG/F, VG/VG+ $1.49

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:  145

Have/Want: 5162/115

Where Sold: South Lake Tahoe, CA

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester early 80's That's Entertainment used $2.99 range

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go?: No

For the Kenny Jones era, I always gave It's Hard a nod over Face Dances.  It might be time to reassess.  Although neither are as good as Townsend's Empty Glass, Face Dances has it's charms.

The album opens with the hit "You Better You Bet" which in all honesty I never need to hear again in my life.  Looking at the track listing "Don't Let Go The Coat" and "Another Tricky Day" stuck.  But the track I forgot about that I always loved was Entwistle's "You."  The bass cranks and the song is great.

I remember my childhood friend Jim quoting "there ain't no bears in there, cache cache" and never to this day remembered the melody of the song, only him quoting it.  I made up a version of the song in my head from him quoting it that replaced the actual song.  I have to say, I was disappointed when all was revealed after not focusing on it ever, even when I bought it and played it.   I would say of all the Who albums through It's Hard it was tied with Who Are You as the one that got the least attention from me.  So many things about Face Dances got lost for me, as I clearly bought it used, played it once and filed it away.  AOR radio drilled what it drilled into me and I forgot the rest.

I have to say I like Face Dances and It's Hard better than Who Are You.  Jim also liked "Guitar and Pen" in the same time period  he was quoting "Cache Cache" but somehow I managed to know "Guitar and Pen" better over the years.  The Pinch Point editor made me break out "905" half a year ago, but it is clear that this Who phase went as ignored as a Who period can possibly be for The Reverse Collector (TM).

So I was going back and forth with the Pinch Point editor of whether Face Dances is a B+ or an A- record.  I was leaning toward B+ but I was vacillating.  He firmly gave it an A-, although he was a bit warmer with "Daily Records" than I am.  Still the closing 1-2 punch of "You" and "Another Tricky Day" did it for me.

Gwiz-gau stamps A-, but may reconsider at a later date.

That later date won't fall again for decades.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)