Northern Bushmen-Happy Hooker Worms (1990)


 

Artist:Northern Bushmen

Title: Happy Hooker Worms

Label: Cubist Productions

Format: 7"

Cat #: CUBE 027

Year of Release: 1990

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1990

Sold Price: $4.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 11/19/20

Discogs Last Sold: 6/7/20 $4.76 NM/NM

Low: $3.00

Median: $4.00

High: $4.94

Current low price: $2.99 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 7

Have/Want: 42/11

Where Sold: Milwaukee, WI

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought: either Newbury Comics or In Your Ear Boston new early 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go?: No

Occasionally lightning strikes twice.  I met a guy from Pittsburgh last year after an outdoor film in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn.  A cool place for an event, I might add.  I forget the particulars of the conversation, but I was told by someone with a librarians voice that I was talking too loudly.  I thought this was odd for an largely attended outdoor after party, and would describe the conversation emphatic,  but not out of the realm of outdoor party conversation, but whatever.  Sometimes Sonic Youth fans can be overly sensitive.    Ear splitting is reserved for artisans like Lee Renaldo, who performed a feedback display after the film.  Commoners must be common in hushed tones of reverence for the dead and living.   So at some point the guy was talking about being in a band and that I would never have heard of them.

Well not only had I heard of them, but I had bought their record Happy Hooker Worms.  I had a mental note to pull it out of storage from this chance encounter last year and give it a listen.  I never got around to it, although the record grazed my fingertips looking for other sold records as the months went by.  Each time I thought to myself "I really need to give this a listen."    

Lightning struck twice.  The Reverse Collector (TM) made a large noise rock sale that indeed included this single.  My eardrums and the sounds of the Northern Bushmen would be one for the first time in 30 years.  

Well I gave it a spin and was surprised that not only did I remember the band name and title, but the noise rock had the air of familiarity that meant I played it more than once on the radio as opposed to playing it once, filing it away, and forgetting it completely.  That it doesn't go beyond that is perhaps another discussion, but I can safely say I still like the Northern Bushmen if they ever come up in conversation 30 years from now.

Sometimes half the battle wins the war.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)