Gordon Lightfoot-Sundown (1974)


 

Artist: Gordon Lightfoot

Title: Sundown

Label: Reprise

Format: LP

Cat #: MS 2177

Year of Release: 1974

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1974 Santa Maria Pressing

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 11/20/20 

Discogs Last Sold: 10/21/20 VG+/VG+ $3.50

Low: $1.00

Median: $3.50

High: $5.35

Current low price: $2.50

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 14

Have/Want: 171/20

Where Sold: South Lake Tahoe, CA

Time it took to sell: 4 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester flea market 

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go?: No

Sundown you better take care/If I find you been creepin' 'round my back stairs

"Did you get to GORDO?" asked the Pinch Point editor a couple decades after a barroom conversation led to my dollar bin purchase of this MOR staple.  I would have to agree this is one of the most sinister lyrics to grace the AM mainstream soft rock radio of the 70's.  One could only imagine who could be coming up the stairs in this day and age.  You better take care!

I listened to this record once if that back then and filed it away.  I have to admit when I listened to this last Sunday after playing a pile of sold classic rock albums it was hard for me to focus on side one.  What blew me away was the back-to-back mega-hit combo of "Sundown" and "Carefree Highway" were plopped in the middle of side two where hits generally are not found, at least the two of this magnanimity.

When I was a kid there was almost nobody as uncool as Gordon Lightfoot.   Even in the library, the Gord was passed over by me time and time again.   It seems like he was beloved by only Dylan and American housewives.  Yet, there's a reason Dylan loved this Canadian songwriter from 850 miles East of Hibbing (Orillia, Ontario to be exact).  A reason I'd rather not explain. I can only call it the way I see it.

A mustachioed man with his acoustic guitar in front of a bale of hay.

You better take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)