Cheech & Chong-Cheech & Chong (1972)


 

Artist: Cheech & Chong

Title: Cheech & Chong

Label: Ode Records

Format: LP

Cat #: SP 77010

Year of Release: 1972

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1972

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/G+

Sell Date: 11/20/20

Discogs Last Sold: 10/31/20 VG/VG $2.98

Low: $1.99

Median: $2.68

High: $22.00 M/NM in shrinkwrap looks unplayed

Current low price: $1.99 VG/Generic $2.50 VG/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 38

Have/Want: 368/34

Where Sold: South Lake Tahoe, CA

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought:  Worcester area indoor flea market late early aughts dollar records warehouse my friend John took me to when I was visiting

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go?: Yes

Gonna Go Downtown/Gonna See My Gal

The first Cheech & Chong 70's output are perhaps one of the most influential recordings ever on a elementary school era me.  My Italian grandfather had given my parents a copy of Los Cochinos a friend gave him.  He didn't understand it, being of the WWII generation and thought it wasn't funny, but thought maybe my parents would appreciate it as generation appropriate.  A new record was in the house for me to obsess over.  I don't think my parents bothered to listen to it.  Certainly not more than once.  I confiscated it and learned that thing cold from start to finish long before Up In Smoke came on the scene.  This led to me taking Wedding Album and this debut out of the library in 3rd grade constantly.  I didn't actually own a copy until 15-20 years ago when my childhood friend took me to a dollar record warehouse with so many records in bin after bin you couldn't browse through them all in a day.

Gonna sing her a song

The album opens with a child's introduction to the Delta blues.  Or a concept of the blues as seen behind the scenes in the recording studio in the rock eras heyday.  Blind “Baby” Melon Chitlin' fresh off his big contract has entered the recording studio for the first time.  The reoccuring physical comedy gag is he starts to blow his harmonica without a harmonica.  But it was the lyrical punchline setting up the next audio gag that all children would remember just as much as the gag itself.  Fresh off the heels of the Ping Pong playin' King Kong limerick that all children of all races, colors or creeds knew, at least in my Worcester elementary school in the 70's.

Gonna show her my....

Cut! Cut!  Blind Baby I think we have to review the lyrics!!!!  There's something I don't quite understand!!!  All is revealed, as Blind Baby is a lyricist with few words.   The words he uses have great economical meaning and impact.  They need no explanation.

Some modern revisionist told The Reverse Collector (TM) he ought to be offended by every -ism in the book proffered by Cheech & Chong.  "Life is but a joke" he retorted.  The drifter lets them all kneel down to pray to their gods and ideologies whilst he made his escape.  He leaves them with final words.

Dave's not here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)