The Kinks-Celluloid Heroes-The Kinks Greatest (1976)


 

Artist: The Kinks

Title: Celluloid Heroes-The Kinks Greatest

Label: RCA Victor

Format: LP

Cat #: APL1 1743

Year of Release: 1976

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1976 Indianapolis Pressing

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG drill cut in upper right corner

Sell Date: 10/25/20

Discogs Last Sold: 9/6/20 VG/VG $3.00

Low: $2.00

Median: $4.75

High: $11.00

Current low price: $3.97 VG+/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 41

Have/Want: 879/27

Where Sold: Little Rock, AR

Time it took to sell: 3 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester MA Al Bums Used 1983-4 $3.99

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go?: No

The result of my goal to get entire discographies of every artist I saw live,  The Kinks, my second arena show on the 1983 State of Confusion tour, were a challenge.  Many of their albums were out of print at the time.  This one was pretty easy, having been reissued as a "best buy" RCA mid-line title.  I found my copy as a used cutout.

The RCA years of the Kinks looked down upon by me, perhaps unjustifiably.  Muswell Hillbillies was an album that I knew from taking out of the library (!).  It was the only Kinks album they had in my recollection.  Their catalog divided pretty neatly at the time: the "classic" Reprise period, the "theatrical" RCA period and the "arena" Arista years.  

Listening to this compilation for the first time since purchase, every song seemed familiar, although I wouldn’t call them "hits" except for perhaps the title track.  This appears to be sort of a label clearing effort before the band moved on to more platinum pastures.  Many years later I found this to be an enjoyable experience to listen to.  Of the RCA years, Schoolboys in Disgrace was the one I liked most as an album after Muswell, but "No More Looking Back" which made it here wasn't my favorite.

Dinged an notch for the "why does this exist" factor, more for the slapdashness than the actual content.  For those would skip a double album to get "Celluloid Heroes."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)