Interpol-The Heinrich Maneuver 7" (2007)


 

Artist: Interpol

Title: The Heinrich Maneuver b/w Mammoth (Instrumental)

Label: Capitol

Format: 7"

Cat #: 7PRO 50999 5 02004 7 4

Year of Release: 2007

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2007 Promo

Sold Price: $2.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 10/23/20

Discogs Last Sold: 8/10/20 $2.00 VG+/VG

Low: $1.00

Median: $2.75

High: $11.65

Current low price: $3.00 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 10

Have/Want: 607/75

Where Sold: Brighton, MA

Time it took to sell: 4 years

Where and When Bought: consignment collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-

Sad To See It Go?: No

Oddly enough, I was excited to hear Interpol when they came out.  My friend Kenny from Boston said there was a new Matador band that sounded like a goth Joy Division.  I bought a copy of Turn On The Bright Lights on compact disc,  brand new, soon after it was released, played it once and filed it away, forgotten for all eternity except for this story (and not the music), until I sold it or lost it.   I don't have it anymore.

So with this memory in mind, spinning "The Heinrich Maneuver" was a curio, as it came from the same consigned collection as the Zappa title I reviewed last month.  Sometimes if I let a couple decades pass, my mind changes about whether something is good or not.  This is not one of those times.    The A-side sounds like a typical late aughts major label alt-rock production.  A sound I find insufferable.  The B-side was a decent instrumental.  I don't know if it ever made it to an official release, maybe an EP or something.  I can only seem to find the vocal version online.   It's not so great that I feel a hard need to hear it again.

This might be the band that single handedly made me stop caring about commercial aspirant music from the indie scene in general on some level.   This type of careerism infected the live music scene that whole decade and the next one too.   Somebody else younger than 32 year old me would better be able to care.  I could never CARE for a band like this. This "new wave" has come and gone, bland and aspiring to a modeling career.  The thought of putting time into Interpol's discography is less appealing to me than rediscovering the Strokes.  I'm open to having a live set change my mind, as a tag-along to someone who cares, but that's the case as well with Vanilla Fudge, April Wine and the Cro-Mags.   All remain bands I've never seen and even getting on the guest list might not be enough to motivate me to go.  Someone has to be excited.  

Now Interpol are the establishment.  Writers with actual clout look up to them as their teen idols.

God help us all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)