How Do I Influence The Reverse Collector?


I like to keep these posts fresh, and a stream of sales aids this blog.

My main goal of this blog is more to force daily writing on myself to compile and edit for a book.  Goosing sales is secondary.

So here is the link to my Discogs store.  

https://www.discogs.com/seller/gwizdave/profile

Obviously I’m limited to one title a day so if I sell 20 pieces and someone buys 18 of a similar genre, you can see in real time what happens: this week was a journey of noise rock, a couple weeks ago it was classic rock.  Since this stuff was stored in 2010, there are no “modern titles.”  

This week I only sold one title (!) which happens from time to time, so I cut some flagged prices up for a year.  That one title was from a couple hundred piece collection given to me to sell on consignment in 2016, so if you want to get rid of some titles, I’ll consider grading and storing and selling reasonable quantities for a gentleman's 50% net agreement.  I’m talking a couple hundred sellable pieces here and there for fun, not mega profit provided you have some stuff I’d want to write about and listen to.

Larger collections I’d have to sort out storage access which would require regular easy NYC access or a dedicated storage space as the Reverse Collector is Reverse Collecting to reduce storage not add to a jammed out storage space and Brooklyn bedroom. 

The proposal would have to be a more formal work contract since I’m not a store and have regular work to contend with. I’m not snooty but it isn’t worth my time or anyones upfront money to sift through a 10,000 piece wall of easy listening yard sale favorites, although ANYTHING can sell on this planet in ANY condition if the price is right or the buyer is consolidating an order to save shipping.  I’ve had a pile of graded trashed records sell for good money because someone wanted clean labels for an art project.  Somebody somewhere may want that $3 water stained Ray Conniff album in the next 5 years graded G+/G, and every job has a price, but that’s where were upfront labor and time costs would need to be sorted to make it happen.  Say I took 8 of those jobs that require 800 hours of labor and $3000 of monthly storage, I’d be buried pretty damn fast in a “mountain of garbage” as Albini sang (without “the doo doo and feces on the wall” hopefully).  Record stores deal with the overhead  reality every day, that’s a big part of why they go down for the count.  That is why they still exist.  The Reverse Collector is the difference between hobbiest and store.  Or employee and contractor.   Plus, NYC space is a premium and if they involve basements or storage facilities, the elements can intrude on your most careful plans. 

Write to thereversecollector@gmail.com for inquiries.

You see turds on Facebook shaming people all the time for their shitty common collection without taking certain things into account. Yeah, everyone is digging for gold in a pile of shit and the interwebs have noted this taking the fun out of it.  Everyone thinks their stuff is money.  Sometimes they are even right.  But that copy of Kenny by Kenny Rogers sits in open shink next to a VG/VG+ copy of Anne Murray’s Greatest Hits for all eternity.  Why?

It’s a capitalist society.  That’s why. You pay more for one of Kenny’s Roasters than a clean copy of his Greatest Hits nowadays.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)