The Julianna Experience/Holy Rollers-Wheel (1990)


 

Artist: The Julianna Experience/Holy Rollers

Title: Wheel

Label: Simple Machines

Format: 7"

Cat #: SMR-002

Year of Release: 1990

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1990

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 9/3/20

Discogs Last Sold: 6/27/20 $4.42 VG+/VG+

Low: $1.50

Median: $3.99

High: $5.99

Current low price: $2.25 NM/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:

Have/Want: 90/35

Where Sold: Sunnyvale, CA

Time it took to sell: 4 years

Where and When Bought: either Newbury Comics in Boston or In Your Ear in Allston

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go?: No

This is one of those records I probably bought as a random single buy (probably in a nice $40 stack).  I know Holy Rollers were on Dischord and somehow never knew The Julianna Experience did a Kill Rock Stars release later.  I think my influence in purchasing this, if any, was Mark Erdody of Kudgel extolling the virtues of Simple Machine records.  I also bought the Pulley single which was part of this "machine" series and sold at the same time as this one both then and now.  Holy Rollers were definitely something I would buy as a single, although listening to this single I had no recollection of either Julianna's poetry or the heavy punk tracks of the Holy Rollers.

The Julianna Experience is an experience of the era fer sure where labels were less afraid to stretch out.  Southern slam coffee house poetry.  These a certain celebration in the tale of the downtrodden that is a snapshot on Gen X youth, slightly pre-dating the Riot Grrl era, whose first wave of bands I dug.

Holy Rollers tracks were solid, and I'm certain I played the Dischord releases at WERS in the early 90's.  Dischord is one of those labels that anything they put out I'd play on the air, but I think my need to buy everything they put out extended only to Fugazi as the 90's progressed, and even that was knee jerk play once and file away (except for End Hits which I dug alot). Worcester had a big Dischord scene when I was in high school, so I got alot of the peripheral stuff you had to buy on someones excited recommendation in '87 or 8 for something not in the library to play on the radio, but it wasn't stuff I'd listen to at home beyond a spin.  This was also one of many "play once and file away" maybe brought to radio for a spin or few.  We could get into discussions of disposable art reality vs the hope the artist makes that their creation is treasured and deeply pondered, but I really need to move on and so, dear friend, do you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)