Smashing Pumpkins-Gish (1991)


 

Artist: Smashing Pumpkins

Title: Gish

Label: Caroline

Format: CD

Cat #: CAROL 1705-2

Year of Release: 1991

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1991

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 9/14/20

Discogs Last Sold: 8/13/20

Low: $1.00

Median: $4.00

High: $10.00

Current low price: $2.00 G+/No Cover, $3.25 VG+/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 18

Have/Want: 1045/213

Where Sold: New Haven, CT

Time it took to sell: 8-10 years

Where and When Bought: used for $8 or $10 at Nuggets in Boston--the tell tale sticker residue on the cover confirms this

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go?: No

This is one of those bands I liked initially that got caught up in the commercial grunge wave making them somewhat less relevant in my mind.  With Smashing Pumpkins, you could not go on a road trip on the East coast in the mid-90's and not hear them on rock radio just as much as Led Zeppelin.  And then, they fell back to earth by the late 90's.

I thought this was a great band in 1991, respected them with a jaundiced eye in the mid-90's and ignored them completely after that.  I saw them at T.T. The Bears in Cambridge with a friend that told me she could imagine them playing in arenas.  "No way!" I said with complete certainty.  But clearly I was wrong.  Perhaps as wrong as anything I had been certain about in my entire life.  I have to say Siamese Dream probably is a little better than I gave it credit for.  "Disarm" was an in joke for it's melodrama, a song made for mocking.  I had an experience with a friend cranking Mellon Collie... in an empty cargo van that made it sound pretty damn good after I tried to ignore it completely.

As far as Gish goes, my favorite cut was "Snail" whose name I didn't remember like "I Am One," "Tristessa" or "Bury Me".  The funny thing is the narrative in my brain had this album being a bit better than listening to it now.  A bit more filler than I imagined.  But also better guitar.   I also forgot about the bass players vocals on the closer "Daydream" which I thought was one of the better tracks.

Why this CD sold, perhaps the buyer wanted a first edition or the cheapest CD on the market.  The buyer bought a Spiritualized EP from me last year, and a Fall CD a few years back.  I can honestly say I have not considered listening to this album since 1991 or maybe 1992, nor did I play this band on the radio my entire decade or so long run at WFDU in Teaneck, NJ in the 90's/early aughts.   I broke down and bought a dollar cd of Siamese Dream and gave it a spin sometime in the aughts and never thought about them after that.  Until this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)