Sentridoh-The Mysterious Sentridoh EP (1993)


 

Artist: Sentridoh

Title: The Mysterious Sentridoh EP

Label: Little Brother Records

Format: 7"

Cat #: LB-001

Year of Release: 1993

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1993

Sold Price: $6.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 9/1/20

Discogs Last Sold: 8/7/20 $5.52 VG+/VG+

Low: $3.83

Median: $6.19

High: $7.66

Current low price: $7.02 NM/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 4

Have/Want: 233/62

Where Sold: Albuquerque, NM

Time it took to sell: 4 years

Where and When Bought: Somewhere in NYC 1993 The singles bin in the Venus basement on St. Marks? Kim's?  I'm starting to think Kim's before it was on St. Marks.

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade:B

Sad To See It Go?:No

Lou Barlow was one of those guys at some point decided I had to have every tape fart and utterance of from about 1990 until the disappointing Sire Records Sebadoh album (yes I was monitoring The Folk Implosion, the Kids soundtrack tracks were favorites as were the run of great Sub Pop Sebadoh releases). It wasn't always that way.  When Dinosaur were Dinosaur his tracks were the ones I gravitated to as a WICN DJ in the mid-80's: "Bulbs of Passion,""Poledo," and "Don't" were my hits each with the patented Barlow bellow.  Somehow, I ignored 1989's The Freed Man on Homestead until it was compiled on CD with the Weed Forestin album as The Freed Weed in 1990.  It wasn't until the Michelles at the Nuggets record store in Kenmore Square were raving was I convinced to see Sebadoh for an 18+ gig  in 1989 (I was late 18 or a fresh 19) at the short lived Ground Zero lesbian bar on Mass Ave in Cambridge turned live music room, where I also saw the last lady-less final Pussy Galore tour and peak era Flaming Lips with Steel Pole Bath Tub opening before the venue ended.  Sebadoh was Jason, Eric and Lou as they would remind you from the tape loops on stage.  Sentridoh was Lou.  For some reason I wasn't into Lou's one man shenanigans at this show until the band covered "Free Fallin'" and I was won over for a good decade.

This wasn't the "hit" for me that the preceding "Losercore" single was for it's B side "Losers".  I started overnights at WFDU at the time and I don't think the station had this, but perhaps it was overtaken by the Shimper compilation CD that came out around the same time which I think they had and I never bothered to get.  I'm certain I played it once and filed it away, perhaps bringing it to 'FDU for a spin or two before it going into permanent archive.  Upon relistening, these are solid Lou songs best described on the back cover as "six sick sounding songs, sexual, judgmental, sarcasm, taunting, all unresolved, contradictions for contradictions sake."  I'm pretty sure I saw him at Maxwells in Hoboken around this time in one-man format and it was more of the same.

Something was driving Barlow content before Labor Day as someone else bought a $40 Sebadoh "Asshole" single that I accidentally double listed and sold two months prior.  This one only went for $7. 

The Gods of Lou had their vengeance upon me.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)