Ciccone Youth-The Whitey Album (1989)


 

Artist: Ciccone Youth

Title: The Whitey Album

Label: Enigma/Blast First

Format: CD

Cat #: 7=75402-2

Year of Release: 1989

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1989

Sold Price: $5.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date:  8/28/20

Discogs Last Sold: 10/31/19

Low: $2.00

Median: $5.99

High: $14.99

Current low price: $6.99 VG+/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 7

Have/Want: 233/66

Where Sold: Bethesda, MD

Time it took to sell: 8 years

Where and When Bought: Tower Records in Boston when released brand new

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go?: No


Sonic Youth were one of those bands at some point I had to have everything including side projects, whatever.  I'd say this period was 1986 until some point in the late 90's I started to fall off also kept up on their releases and at least a gig or two per release until their breakup.  The album that really got me into them was Evol, even though I got yelled at from a music director for unwittingly playing an uncensored "Halloween" when it was new, and caught up with the back catalog before Evol came out.  I saw the infamous "firecracker" show in Boston on the Sister tour, and also a month before that at the Living Room in Providence where Naked Raygun opened and I got a combat boot come down on the base of my nose full force during their set.  I remember the station had a single of "Into The Groove" a year or so before this came out.   Funny at the time I considered Sister a disappointment initially, and seeing Daydream Nation at the Somerville Theatre I was also disappointed.  I know not why, they are both peaks of their cannon, and maybe now I might prefer Sister to Evol if you pressed me.  Maybe.

As for The Whitey Album, it's clearly got "side project" written all over it including the changed moniker.  I listened to it start to finish probably for the first time since I bought it.  I wasn't doing an active radio show in 1989 so outside of the Madonna covers that were on a single, I didn't go deep with the noise tracks.  I probably went deeper with the Lee Renaldo etched groove record from a couple years before.  "Making The Nature Scene" sticks in my head as a "hit" from the era.  I can't really say The Whitey Album is an unpleasant listen, I enjoyed it upon review without the feeling that I need to hear it yet again anytime soon.

This seems to be getting some internet press of late, seems I read about it recently which could've been the motivator for this sale and one at the same price three days after me.  Geffen reissued this in 2006, so there are probably many of those out there in "remastered" glory.  I'm sure the studio work on "(Silence)" was epic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)