Martin Denny-Exotica (1957)
Artist: Martin Denny
Title: Exotica
Label: Liberty
Sell Date: 8/7/26
Condition: VG/VG
Discogs Last Sold: 8/6/26 VG/VG+ $7.00
Low: $2.66
Median: $7.00
Average: $7.15
High: $19.87
Current low price: $5.00 VG/G+
Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 10
Have/Want: 617/256
Where Sold: Huntington Beach, CA
Time It Took To Sell: 2 years
Where and When Bought: Whatnot auction lot
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+
Sad To See It Go: No
This is an odd record to write about or sell for me. I generally don't go too deep into easy listening or exotica, but Exotia by Martin Denny is the granddaddy of them all hitting number one on Billboard in 1959. Somehow I knew the back of my head maxim when I got this in auction lot fashion for a buck or two that "Exotica sells." I guess I was also curious to hear it which often is a dollar bin decider. Often presentation is the deciding factor in how something is sold. If you treat something good as garbage it will not sell just like garbage. If you present it as someting of value, it will move appropriately. It really is the difference between an old dusty box untouched for decades at goodwill vs someone paying premium money for a cleaned, sleeved up copy on Discogs. Some things of course are garbage and will forever be, but this is one other maxim to remember when someone offer a box of records, tapes or CD's they want to throw out. All it takes is one.
This one was a late 50's reissue of the 1957 mono version that was famously rerecorded for the stereo market when vibist Arthur Lyman was replaced by future Tijuana Brass member Julius Wechler. So basically you get Martin's piano with cawing birds and vibes throughout. This was sure to be point number 8 in Reader's Digest on how to throw a Tiki party for music to have on the record player. Denny was a NYC-born, LA based child prodigy that toured South America in the 30's with the Don Dean Orchestra. This sparked an interest in Latin rhythms and instruments that infused his later work: congas, marimbas and timbales. So what might seem as market exploitation to capitalize on the Tiki party trend actually had a long leadup with alot going on prior to this solo debut, which is fascinating in it's own way. I'm not sure if American Bandstand used this clip of "Quiet Village," but something tells me that is the case with his appearance. Otherwise it seems odd to foist this brand of adulting upon teenagers in a post-Elvis world.
The buyer of this implored me to get it out quickly because it was supposed to arrive for a birthday in time. NYC to California via Media Mail from somebody that bought a copy of the Jeff Beck Group album for $4 a few years ago! I got it out the door that very day.
I hope it makes it.

Comments
Post a Comment