La Flavour-Mandolay (1979)

 


Artist: La Flavour

Title: Mandolay

Label: Chateau

Format: 12"

Catalog Number: CXD 001

Year of Release: 1979

Country and Year of Edition: Canada 1985

Sell Price: $3.36

Sell Date: 8/24/26

Condition: VG+/generic

Discogs Last Sold: 6/26/25 VG+/generic $5.00

Low: $1.60

Median: $3.50

Average: $4.19

High: $10.00

Current low price: $3.50 (Spain) $4.00 (US)

Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 18

Have/Want: 156/85

Where Sold: Yucca Valley, CA

Time It Took To Sell:   2 years

Where and When Bought: Whatnot auction lot

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

I have a loose rule that if I wake up with something on my recently sold list going through my head, that is the record I'm going to write about.  Before this Latin Disco hit club record sold yesterday, it was just a random 12" I got as filler in a lot of records I got a couple years back.  Listening to it though I could hear a party.  I could picture the buyer clapping her hands and yelling out the chorus at a wedding on the dance floor before "Hot Stuff" comes on.  Mandolay!!!!

The crazy thing about La Flavour is I don't think they are Latin at all.   They had last names like DeBrock, Milchak, Dotin, Bretz and Nuevo.  It wouldn't shock me if Nuevo was Italian.   They come from Massilon, Ohio about 50 miles south of Cleveland and stopped playing dance music to become a AOR Rock band called Fair Warning put out by MCA in 1981.   A hint of things to come came on the La Flavour album where Pittsburgh rock god Donnie Iris made an appearance on the track "Can You Dance."  The original 1980 La Flavour album cover avoided the issue by putting a model in headphones licking an ice cream cone on both sides of the sleeve.

This particular 12" was a Canadian 1985 reissue on a label Chateau that specialized in dance 12" singles.  This doesn't appear to be a bootleg since it was manufactured by Power Records (the 7th one on Discogs, not the one that did the Spiderman records), founded by BMG publishing executive Vincent Digiorgio.who made his name in Toronto DJ club promotions.  In it's time of original release the 1979 12" and the album came out on Sweet City that was distributed by CBS.

Mandolay!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Big Black-The Incredibly Corporate Whorish Big Black Interview Album (1987)