Fatboy Slim-You've Come A Long Way Baby (1998)
Artist: Fatboy Slim
Title: You've Come A Long Way Baby
Label: Astrawerks/Skint
Sell Date: 7/5/26
Condition: VG+/VG+
Discogs Last Sold: 7/22/26 VG+/VG+ $1.75
Low: $1.00
Median: $3.15
Average: $3.56
High: $10.00
Current low price: $0.99 G/VG+
Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 86
Have/Want: 3531/270
Where Sold: Robertsdale, AL
Time It Took To Sell: 16 years
Where and When Bought: used Rocket Science NYC $8.99
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-
Sad To See It Go: No
Fatboy Slim's second album took a niche genre and made it extremely popular in 1998. This was primarily on the strength of the videos that delivered the repetitive electronic DJ music from indistinguishable club music to comedy laden hits.
Without the British cover of a morbidly obese character in a "I'm #1 So Why Try Harder" t-shirt exchanged for a wall jammed wooden shelf, something was lost on the American market that made for mass sales. People took this shit so seriously that "The Rockefeller Skank" made the Village Voice Pazz & Jop Critics Poll single of the year. I thought I bought it because the album was top ten there, but looking at the chart it was #46. Then I realized I methodically bought the entire top 50 albums that year.
The MTV hits were likable enough: "Praise You" and "Right Here Right Now" we fairly inescapable and "Gangster Trippin'" less so. You'd hear Fatboy Slim is fucking "In Heaven" out and about. I guess it was that years Chemical Brothers, maybe it even made the Marz Bar jukebox around that time.
In terms of samples, like the Beastie Boys before them, they used an interesting mix. Whoda thunk the James Gang's "Ashes, The Rain and I" would be the foundation of "Right Here Right Now?" Or that David Bowie's 1967 "Join The Gang" would lock heads with the Bobby Fuller Four's hit "I Found The Law," Duane Eddy's "Twistin' and Twangin'" and Jay-Z's "Who You Wit II" on "The Rockefeller Skank?"
I've checked out enough of the Funk Soul Brother for a lifetime.


Comments
Post a Comment