Chumbawamba-Tubthumper (1997)


Artist: Chumbawamba

Title: Tubthumper

Label: Republic/Universal

Format: CD

Catalog Number: UD 35099

Year of Release: 1997

Country and Year of Edition: US 1997

Sell Price: $2.84

Sell Date: 7/5/26

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold:  7/1726 VG+/VG+ $1.00

Low: $0.99

Median: $2.00

Average: $2.58

High: $8.52

Current low price: $0.85

Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 86

Have/Want: 1614/103

Where Sold: Robertsdale, AL

Time It Took To Sell:  3 years

Where and When Bought: roommate CD giveaway bag

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-

Sad To See It Go: No 

Chumbawamba made a radical left turn from their anarcho-punk long running existance in 1997.  That it resulted in an album that sold over 5 million copies worldwide was not something even thought possible in the immediate post-Nirvana major label indie rock gold rush.  Like Crass and Conflict and The Ex, Chumbawamba were thought to be beyond such things.

The electronic alterna-pop hit "Tubthumping" (-ing not -er)  had a 31 week chart run on Billboard peaking at #6.  It went beyond the copies it sold on record being featured on major label compilation series like Jock Jams and Now!  You can't escape the getting knocked down to get back up again working class anthem connected the way "The Day The Nazi Died" or "Mouthfull Of Shit" did not connect to a mass audience.  Really, neither did the rest of this album, but it still sold a shit-ton anyway.

I don't know if bringing a union anthem like "One By One" out of the Folk circuit had any effect whatsoever, but I will say the one song on here that I like, "Drip Drip Drip" had special resonance while watching my ceiling as recent downpours happened in NYC.  "Drip Drip Drip" has since become splash splash splash, but I will save that story for some other day.

I've had those songs absorb into my brain on random shuffle over the past few weeks on my review playlist after my initial start to finish listen before shipping.  I can't say except for that one non-hit song that general familiarity made me like the album any more.  Drip drip drip goes the water.  I guess "Smalltown" with it's French pop sounding vocals over trip hop and a disembodied horn I like as well.

Another record better as an executed concept versus something to listen to.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Big Black-The Incredibly Corporate Whorish Big Black Interview Album (1987)