Jack O'Nuts-On You (1994)


 

Artist: Jack O'Nuts

Title: On You

Label: Radial Records

Format: CD

Cat: RDL 06-2

Year of Release: 1994

Country and Year of Edition: US 1994

Date of Sale: 7/2/23

Sell Price: $3.52

Condition: VG+/VG hole punch in UPC

Discogs Last Sold: 2/27/22 M/M $3.50

Low:$1.00

Median: $2.83

Average: $2.97

High: $4.98

Current low price: $1.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 10

Have/Want: 39/11

Where Sold: Hot Springs, AR

Time It Took To Sell:  8 years

Where and When Bought: used late 90's Kims dollar cd wall

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

"These guys are the female Jesus Lizard"  was all it took for me to make Jack O'Nuts a regular rotation singles purchase.  I actually was a big fan of vocalist Laura Carter's previous Athens, GA band Bar-B-Que Killers Comely album when they existed but since I never got to see that band live I didn't make the connection.  I guess she joined Jack O'Nuts in 1991, a couple years after their inception.

Anyway, the guitar of Brooks Carter sounds very much like Duane Denison's playing.  This makes for music that sounds like a mid-tier band on the recorded medium.  They were perhaps better to see live.  This got me to thinking, "why does anyone do anything?"  Myself included.

Well Brooks Carter isn't Duane Denison and Laura Carter wasn't David Yow or Thalia Zedek, but they can't all be in the same place at the same time 365 days a year if they are gonna live in different cities.  I guess that is reason enough for the Jack O'Nuts to have existed and toured.  As good as anyone on this tier I suppose.  Laura Carter actually cut it off before living out her life on the Virgin Islands running a garden center and being a chef and a mother of one child.  She passed young in 2002 at the age of 37.

Well the 8 tracks of this album are the bands longest release.  They did one video, "Chump Change."  For whatever reason, the 3 songs after it are better for me.  Did any of it rise above enjoyable college radio filler?  After 3 consecutive listens after maybe one around 25 years ago, I say no, but there are plenty of good parts particularly "Raw Candle Vote."  That one is consistently my favorite each time I hear the 8 tracks.  Looking at their discography, I just realized that it was issued as a single A-side the year before, so maybe I'm not way off here.

Why does anyone do anything?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)