Faces-Snakes and Ladders/The Best of Faces (1976)


Artist: Faces


Label: Warner Bros.

Format: LP

Cat: BS-2897

Year of Release: 1976

Country and Year of Edition: US 1976

Date of Sale: 6/7/23

Sell Price: $2.00

Condition: G/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: 5/22/23 VG/VG $7.77

Low:$2.00

Median: $9.99

Average: $9.52

High: $15.05

Current low price: $3.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 8

Have/Want: 325/30

Where Sold:  Lynnfield, MA

Time It Took To Sell:  8 years

Where and When Bought: used Worcester Al Bums early 80's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

With "Ooh La La" disturbingly being used in an Amazon ad, it dawned on me that this Faces comp I've eternally had was originally purchased to get "Stay With Me," and I really didn't focus on anything else.  Somewhere along the line in the CD era, someone hepped me to the excellence of A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse, which I bought the reissue with it's follow-up Long Player, but everything else sort of went by the wayside.  I had this career retrospective, after all. “Wicked Messenger” cover on the debut notwithstanding!

The album kicks off with a 1973 single, "Pool Hall Richard" which is reminiscent of  Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."  Then a couple tracks from Ooh La La.  "Cindy Incidentally" comes of like Bob Dylan's "I Can't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" and then the song it took decades for Madison Avenue to fall in love with.  Tough rockers like "Miss Judy's Farm" can't be denied.  Still the lines don’t seem too clear between Rod’s Mercury years and Faces.

Rod fronted Faces through 1975 and has often threatened to rejoin them on a tour someday.  Ian MacLagan passed in 2014 and Ronnie Lane departed in 1997, so it's down to Ron Wood and Kenny Jones.  Maybe they'll get Bill Wyman or Glenn Matlock to step in like they had for one-offs.  Or maybe he'll make good on his latest proclamation and just put Rock to rest.

Last week, I decided to experiment with prices and let people make offers after bumping prices up slightly.  I got a handful of orders, but I also got some annoying lowballs.  This one got $2 but I had been selling it for $4 and was already going to storage, so I took the bid since I knew the copy had been hit with some water damage.  I've since had a change of heart, cut my prices back a bit and stopped taking offers.   Things weren't really selling much better, and people were coming out of the woodwork to lowball and not pay when I'd agree just to write about it on this blog.

The last single from late 1974  "You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything (Even Take the Dog for a Walk, Mend a Fuse, Fold Away the Ironing Board, or Any Other Domestic Shortcomings)" was a precursor to Rod's later 70's solo career.  I ain't talking about "Hot Legs."    Not a US hit, but the longest charting song title in the UK.

It seems hard rocking was not gonna be absolute after all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)