The Shadows-The Shadows (1961)


 

Artist: The Shadows

Title:The Shadows

Label: EMI

Format: CD

Cat: 7243 5 28239 2 5

Year of Release:1961

Country and Year of Edition: Europe 1999 stereo and mono remaster

Sell Price: $14.99 VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: NM/NM $4.74

Low:$4.74

Median: $13.45

Average: $12.71

High: $20.00

Current low price: $5.25

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 10

Have/Want: 28/30

Where Sold: Lake Grove, NY

Time it took to sell:  11  years

Where and When Purchased: mail order mid aughts

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

I grew up with a father whose guitar playing was weened on Duane Eddy and The Ventures.  Somehow The Shadows didn't make it across the pond commercially in the US outside of their vocalist Cliff Richard who went on to have hits over 4 decades here.

The debut album, presented here in both Mono and Stereo remasters from 1999, sheds Cliff and really is flawless start to finish.  A few vocal love-themed tracks ("Baby My Heart," "All My Sorrows" and "That's My Desire) break up the 11 instrumentals, but the instrumentals are what makes this groundbreaking from 1961.

True Santo and Johnny made their version of "Sleepwalk" a mega hit here, but for me the magic is in the stuff that I really didn't know before I heard the Shadows do them.  Things llke the opener "Shadoogie" or "Nivram" (guitarist Hank's last name backwards).  Clever song titles abound like "Theme From A Filleted Place" or "My Resistance Is Low" or "See You In My Drums."

These tracks come go and fade out fast, great little nuggets of rock n roll.

It's about all I really need.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)