The Wrong-Ethel Merman Jism Spoon (1989)


 

Artist: The Wrong

Title: Ethel Merman Jism Spoon

Label: Flux Records

Format: LP

Cat: FLx 1.2

Year of Release: 1989

Country and Year of Edition: US 1989

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+ 

Sell Date: 7/11/22

Sell Price: $8.99

Discogs Last Sold: 5/6/22 NM/NM $8.16

Low: $4.00

Median: $8.99

Average: $8.85

High: $12.50

Current low price:$4.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 5

Have/Want: 33/15

Where Sold:  las Vegas, NV

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: late 80's MRR mail order record store (Blackout?)

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

I ordered this album stuck at home in the summer of 1989 via Maximum Rock n Roll's mailorder store.  I must've read a good review somewhere.  I would say it not "pop punk"--more of a straight indie punk band.  They were from Hawaii, which I didn't know at the time.

"Drunk With You" was my hit of the album.  Maybe I played it on my show and listened to the tape of it and decided that I loved the song.  It's actually nothing like the rest of the album, it's almost a plaintive ballad by comparison to the rest of the guitar driven indie rock.  A little speeded up to be "punk" but not quite "hardcore" and certainly not pop-punk in the modern context, although they probably could fit next to very early Green Day at the time.  I might've even bought a Green Day 7" in the same mailorder that sold for premium money years before I started this blog.   

For whatever reason I liked "Drunk With You" so much I ignored the rest of the album.  Now that I've listened to it a couple times, I'm finding that it's enjoyable overall and maybe was worth a little more attention.

Sometimes "hits" take over albums in Radioland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)