Squeeze-Singles-45's and Under (1982)



 

Artist:  Squeeze

Title:  Singles-45's and Under

Label:  A&M Records

Format: CD

Cat: CD-3338

Year of Release: 1982

Country and Year of Edition: US 1989

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 6/21/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold:4/16/22 VG+/VG+ $3.50

Low: $0.50

Median: $1.98

Average: $1.89

High: $3.75

Current low price:$0.35

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 41

Have/Want: 772/8

Where Sold: Newburgh, NY

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: used 90's can't remember where

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

A uniformly excellent compilation at the tail end of the vinyl era.  As far as song-for-song goes, it is up there for what I would want to hear by Squeeze.  For me, this is rare since I tend more to full albums and "deep" unfamiliar cuts.  For whatever reason, I'd rather hear this than dive deep into the catalogue of Squeeze, but that may very well be a life long error that needs correction.  That said, this is closer to Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy vs. a hodgepodge greatest hits.  I'd rather hear this than say a best of Elvis Costello.  The reissue era has devalued this album in exchange for more extensive compilations, by why mess with perfection.  This is a concept all it's own.

My favorite song on this is "Another Nail In My Heart" which I taped off the radio in the early 80's not knowing the titles.  Somehow, I subconsciously called it "Airwaves" and to this day was looking for that song "Airwaves" that doesn't exist in the track listing.  I love that I butchered the lyrics so much that there what I thought in the bar with "the airwaves bound" was in fact "the piano man's found."  

Many more top line hits:   "If I Didn't Love You," "Pulling Mussels," "Goodbye Girl" even "Cool For Cats" made the cut.  I even enjoy "Annie Get Your Gun" which I always thought a lesser tier.

Here it closes the album out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)