Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers-Hard Promises (1981)


 

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Title: Hard Promises

Label: Backstreet

Format: LP

Cat #  BSR 5160

Year of Release: 1981

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1981

Listed Condition: VG+/VG with insert

Sell Date: 5/5/22

Sell Price: $10.99 

Discogs Last Sold: 5/13/22 VG/VG+ $10.54

Low: $8.00

Median: $14.22

Average: $15.12

High:$25.85

Current low price:$5.99 G+/F, $9.99 VG/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:143

Have/Want: 12100/787

Where Sold: Bronx, NY

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: Al Bums Worcester Used $3.99 early 80's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

Although I disliked "The Waiting" while it was an active hit, I've warmed to it over time.  As kids we used to mimic his chorus line "the waiting is the hardest part."  I don't know why we found it parody  worthy, even with the cocksure confessional line "well yeah, I might've chased a couple women around" which always makes me chuckle.

The rest of the album is pretty well up there with Damn The Torpedoes and Wildflowers which are my top two of his.  I probably knew this cold from taking out of the library before I got around to buying a used copy and it was all familiar and enjoyable nearly 40 years on.  Even the Stevie Nicks duet ballad "Insider" works for me.  I find it odd this one was considered under appreciated, but I guess Damn The Torpedoes was such a massive and excellent hit album that everything surrounding it in his peak period (I'd say the first album through Long After Dark) seems somehow lesser.

Every Hard Promises cut seems like a hit to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)