The Who-Tommy (1969)


 

Artist: The Who

Title: Tommy

Label: Decca

Format: 2LP

Cat #  DXSW-7205

Year of Release: 1969

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1972 Pickneyville Pressing with booklet

Listed Condition: VG/G+

Sell Date: 5/6/22

Sell Price: $7.99

Discogs Last Sold: 5/1/22 NM/VG $20.00

Low: $1.50 G/G+

Median: $7.50

Average: $7.12

High:$40.00 NM/NM

Current low price:$3.00 G+/Gen , $5.00 G+/G+, $10.00 VG/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:22

Have/Want: 1773/374

Where Sold: Cumming, GA

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: used Worcester early 80's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

Tommy tends to be maligned by the sort of people who wish it could be 1965 again.  Some of those people might like Live At Leads but certainly not anything after.  Since I'm not one of those people, I'm fine with Tommy and it's uncanny ability to have each and every note of the album rouse memory cells despite neither buying a CD reissue of it or even having an urge to play it start to finish in the CD era.  Even when shipping the order out with a dozen other records, this one didn't make the cut and I had to resort to listening today to the fancy 2013 edition with outtakes.  The sort of thing that seems reasonable to play when in day 2 of a 5 day COVID positive lockdown, which I currently am in.

Tommy's "concept" was a bit ruined by the mid-70's film, which always seemed to be on a double bill with another music film I wanted to see in the early 80's.  But there are certainly cool moments.  For me they are "Amazing Journey" (particularly the weird backward sounding effect), the sinister yet catchy "Fiddle About," the punctuating blurts of "Overture" and the grand finale, "We're Not Gonna Take It."  

As for the hits, "Pinball Wizard" I'm burnt on, "I'm Free" I'm not.  I can’t imagine a world without songs like “The Acid Queen” and “Christmas.”

How can I be saved?

ED NOTE 11/11/23:  I had another copy I picked up cheap recently so I got a vinyl spin in today.  For whatever reason certain songs stood out today that didn't when I wrote this up, particularly the side 3 closer "Sensation." I also had "Overture" going through my head in the morning, which was my motivation to embark on the "Amazing Journey."

We're Not Gonna Take It!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)