Stephen Malkmus-Stephen Malkmus (2001)


 

Artist: Stephen Malkmus

Title: Stephen Malkmus

Label: Matador

Format:  CD

Cat  OLE 444-2

Year of Release: 2001

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2001

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 5/16/22

Sell Price: $3.49

Discogs Last Sold: 5/3/22 VG+/NM $2.99

Low: $1.84

Median: $3.25

Average: $3.67

High:$7.99

Current low price:$2.77

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:25

Have/Want: 690/46

Where Sold: Redland, CA

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: Tower or Kims or Sounds on St. Marks new when it came out

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

It just dawned on me that I've NEVER seen Malkmus play solo or with the Jicks.  This CD was in the Marz Bar jukebox for a long stretch along with Pavement's Terror Twilight.  This made me think over the years that "Spit On A Stranger" was on this, when it wasn't.  After a decade of caring about Stephen's every utterance, this and Pig's Lib marked the time in an artists career where I would buy on habit, play once in the background and file away.  This one might have gotten a couple plays.

Whether through home or Mars Bar, "Black Book" was a track that was burned in my brain with all else forgotten.  I'm on a third listen today to see if the rest of it any other gems appear.  I keep liking the last one "Deado."  Various pleasantries pop out a solo in "Church of White" or nice rhyming couplet "by 31/I was the Captain in the Galion" in "The Hook" are nice when refocus kicks in when the album sinks into the background.  Why it was thought "Jenny and the Ess-Dog" was the track compelling enough to make a video, I have no idea. 

I guess it was the characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)