Skull Snaps-Skull Snaps (1973)


 

Artist: Skull Snaps

Title: Skull Snaps

Label:  GSF Records/Get On Down

Format: CD

Cat #: GET-56001

Year of Release: 1973

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2011

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 3/21/22

Sell Price: $9.99

Discogs Last Sold: 9/23/21 $8.00

Low: $5.99 

Median: $8.44

Average: $9.20

High: $15.44

Current low price: $13.21

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 13

Have/Want: 58/143

Where Sold: Lancaster, OH

Time it took to sell: a year and a half

Where and When Bought: the Fountain collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

"I don't need no dope to get me super high!" proclaim the Skull Snaps in the attention getting opener "My Hang Up Is You."  

NYC via DC's The Diplomats, Skull Snaps were a short lived soul outfit with this their only full length.  "It's  A New Day" which closes out the first time became a heavily sampled drum part with over 500 credits to it's name.  

Side Two opens with another undeniable track, "I'm Your Pimp."  "I wear my hat to the side/and walk with a limp..."  

I got this as part of a consignment collection and somehow I managed to never, ever hear this group until the day this CD fancy digipak gatefold reissue sold.  In all honesty, I didn't even realize it was a Soul record until I ripped it and played it at one in the morning last night.  It seems like something that would come my way, and now it has, so nothing like the present.  As I listen again today, I'm enjoying Skull Snaps though I feel like the three tracks I mentioned are head and shoulders above the rest of this short, 9 track, 33 minute album.

I think I'll just step to the back of the bus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)