Ry Cooder-Paradise and Lunch (1974)



Artist: Ry Cooder

Title: Paradise and Lunch

Label: Reprise

Format: LP

Cat #: MS 2179

Year of Release: 1974

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1974

Listed Condition:VG+/VG deleted radio copy

Sell Date: 3/7'22

Sell Price: $9.99

Discogs Last Sold: 2/22/22 $12.00 VG+/VG+

Low:$9.99

Median: $13.33

Average: $14.99

High: $15.00

Current low price: $7.17 

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 33

Have/Want: 1793/205

Where Sold: Wenatchee, WA

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester Al Bums mid 80's used $3.99

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

Ry Cooder is one of those quality artists with a vast discography that has somehow been on my "for further listening" recess of my brain.  This one I found used in my teen years when it was out of print before the CD reissue era.  This was the lone "5 Star" Cooder album in the Rolling Stone Record Guide, so it seemed a mandatory pick-up in my early teens.  Unfortunately, like Rundgren's Something/Anything I wrote about a few weeks back, this was one of those albums that I played once, nodded that it is excellent to myself, then filed away for a another day that never came.  Until now.  

So now that I''ve gotten a headphone listen to the vinyl before shipout as well as a couple streams under my belt, I can still say the record is worthy of a deep dive.  "Mexican Divorce" and the cover of "It's All Over Now" were the tracks that stood out for me on the vinyl listen.  The side 2 openers and closers are next for me. "Fool For A Cigarette" make you long for  a world without cigarette persecution, if not chain smoking personally.  "Ditty Wah Ditty" reminds me of some kind of Nashville Skyline Dylan with more of a Folk hue if that makes sense.

Jim Keltner plays drums on this, but for me it's a subliminal effect.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)