Dymaxion-Dymaxion (1996)


 

Artist: Dymaxion

Title:Dymaxion 

A: The Critics Darling/Mme Commander B:???/I-Man Transport

Label: Roomtone

Format: 7"

Cat #:RM 004

Year of Release:1996

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1996

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 3/14/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 12/6/21 M/M $6.00

Low:$2.00

Median: $3.00

Average: $3.75

High: $7.22

Current low price: $3.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 3

Have/Want: 131/35

Where Sold: Marietta, GA

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: NYC Adult Crash $2.98 sticker still on it

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Before music got micro-genred up the ass, Dymaxion were one of those "industrial"/"weirdness" bands I enjoyed in my radio years.  I don't think there was any motivation beyond the record looking interesting and unknown as well as an inexpensive $2.98 brand new gamble.  Something to play on my overnight show that WFDU didn't have.

Nowadays Discogs categorizes this as Electronic.  Fair enough, but the subsets are stomach churning.  Leftfield is the official term for my self made "weirdness" category.  I like my own category better.  Abstract is just annoying.  That used to be clearly "Industrial" before "Industrial-Dance" became so popular it overtook the genre.  And finally, worst of all IDM.  What the fuck is that?  Some bullshit with computers?  I just looked it up to find out it means "Intelligent Dance Music."  A non-sequitur if there ever was one.  There is no dancing going on here, only white (culture, if not race) people sitting at their gadgets. 

This single I enjoyed on the headphone listen and a little less as I tracked down the tracks to put up links.  I don't remember if the full length versions are re-recorded, but they sound close enough to link them since that is all that is up in cyberspace.  It may very well be Jeremy Newell and Claudia Novak founded Dymaxion in NYC, issued this first single, split and Jeremy added other members down the road.   This is all irrelevant to me and my enjoyment of this EP of 4 brief tracks.    I prefer my electronic "Weirdness" to be faceless unless there is an auteur involved like Morton Subotnik.  Thinking about it too much degrades my view of the record in hindsight.

To be heard solely at face value.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)