UFO-The Early Years (1992)


 

Artist: UFO

Title: The Early Years

Label: Dojo

Format: CD

Cat #: EARL D 9

Year of Release: 1992

Country and Year of Edition Issue: UK 1992

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 2/10/22

Sell Price: $3.99

Low: $1.12

Median: $3.50

Average: $3.54

High: $5.11

Current low price: $3.57

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 16

Have/Want: 41/10

Where Sold: South Glens Falls, NY 

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: Rocket Science NYC on St. Marks mid 90s $1.00 bin

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Funny this should sell with Nektar, who my friend Kenny also got me into.  While I had this compilation before I met him, I had ignored the "prime" 70's years because I erroneously assumed they were slick AOR.  Maybe in this case I was a little out of time age wise for proper UFO reverence, although I had picked up a retrospective Essential compilation as well before Kenny implored me to own all studio albums that culminated in what he thought was their ultimate masterpiece, the double live Strangers In The Night.  So I caught up and saw plenty of UFO later year live shows the last 20 years or so, most recently with said Kenny on Staten Island opening up for BOC a couple months or so before the pandemic.

This compilation consisted of material 1971-3, namely UFO 1 and 2 plus a couple live tracks from the era tacked on at the end.  This is the era of Blues Based Psychedelic Rock with guitarist Mick Bolton, before the hard rock Chrysalis era with Schenker.. You get psychedelic Eddie Cochran and Bo Diddley with "C'mon Everybody" and "Who Do You Love?"  You get a live "Lovin' Cup" by Paul Butterfield.  The live "Boogie For George" drops in Albert King's "The Hunter" unannounced.   You get echoes of Zep Out On The Tiles with "Evil" and of the Who with "Timothy," which is my favorite track on the compilation.

You might as well just get the first two album reissues over this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)