The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion-Acme (1998)


 

Artist: The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Title: Acme

Label: Matador/Capitol

Format: CD

Cat #: OLE 322-2

Year of Release: 1998

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1998 digipak

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/12/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 1/20/22 $1.98

Low: $1.00

Median: $1.98

Average: $2.24

High: $4.99

Current low price: $0.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 35

Have/Want: 541/35

Where Sold: Washington, MO

Time it took to sell: 10 years

Where and When Bought: internet mail order when released

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C

Sad To See It Go: No

One of the least memorable Blues Explosion records I purchased when every release they did was mandatory for me. That took me to 2004's Damage before they went on 8 year hiatus.  I saw them sometime after at Hank's and would step out for a gig of theirs anytime.   The only cut I really remember was toward the end, "Torture." The riff in "Magical Colors" rings a little bell also.  "I Wanna Make It Alright" is a good one with it's organ blend call and response.  Otherwise it's all pro-forma JXBX with a little extra electronic and sampling flourishes to make it even less interesting.  This ain't Orange, which had it's pulse on Downtown NYC a scant 4 years before.

Branching out isn't interesting this time out. "Do You Wanna Get Heavy?" ain't so heavy.  "Takin About The Blues" retreads "Flavor."  It lest us know once and for all that he doesn't play Blues, he plays Rock 'n Roll.  I feel like I've been told this before, but maybe it's my imagination.  "High Gear" is the one most played live according to setlist.fm and I had to go back to it after two passes and I still didn't remember it.  It blows my mind that this album generated so many editions of outtake records including X-tra Acme USA which sold with this large low end CD order.

I guess I'll have to get to that one soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)