Kudgel-Chicken Pump b/w Now (1993)


 

Artist: Kudgel

Title: Chicken Pump b/w Now

Label: Waikiki Records

Format: 7"

Cat #: WK-00

Year of Release: 1993

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1993 Orange cover 97/1000

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 2/10/22

Sell Price:$2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 1/24/22 NM/NM $7.14

Low: $0.67

Median: $2.99

Average: $.3.14

High: $7.14

Current low price: $1.89

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 21

Have/Want: 52/14

Where Sold: South Glens Falls, NY

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: given by band?

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A+

Sad To See It Go: Yes

Mark Erdody's Kudgel reformatted with Zack Lazar & Matt Nicholas both now of Black Helicopter to tour and make the pilgrimage from Boston to Electrical Audio in Chicago.  I believe they worked with Weston, not Albini.  The result was some of the finest noise rock of the era.   I actually recently pre-ordered the new Black Helicopter on WMBR with a shirt, a rare Reverse Collector collecting moment of weakness.  I'm still trying to sell the entire collection out of storage without sentiment and not add to it, but they had a good cause and more importantly,  I wanted to hear it.   I also wanted to hear this Kudgel slab after a few decades filed away.

These two crushing hit tracks chew and screw their way into your heart.  The stereo call and response "Chicken Pump" panning I never noticed until today's headphone listen.  "Now" is a standard mutter to a scream.  How did Erdody scream that way?  It seems impossible nowadays.

Last holiday visit to my Dad's, I actually got to catch up with the Kudgel man himself for the first time in years,  stopping from Northern New England to catch some holiday catch-up lunch with the Gwiz at the Pickle Haus in Northborough, MA.   He had a special surprise gift, a spare acoustic lefty, so I gotta get my DADGAD tuning to put some order on my aimless noodling.

Gwiz sings "Alphabet Song?"

Toot toot, yeah, beep beep!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)