Various Artists-Self Mutilation, Vol. 1 (1991)


 

Artist: Various Artists (Coffin Break, Jonestown, Green Magnet School, You Am I)

Title: Self Mutilation, Volume One

Label: HIppy Knight

Format: 7"

Cat #: creep004

Year of Release: 1991

Country and Year of Edition Issue: Australia

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 11/8/21

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 5/15/21 $2.24

Low: $2.00

Median: $4.25

Average:$4.46 

High: $7.00

Current low price: $1.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 20

Have/Want: 113/29

Where Sold: Seattle, WA

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: Newbury Comics early 90s

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

The Australian Self Mutilation series I almost certainly bought at import price for the Green Magnet School track although I was an early fan of Coffin Break as well.  GMS recorded in the basement of Tim Shea's then house  in Framingham, MA.  I'm certain I have the demo cassette in the deep deep regions of storage.  They sound so young and fresh faced here!

Coffin Break was a good leadoff.  They did grunge punk and were from Seattle.    Jonestown were a Minneapolis band I had several singles of, they were more noise rock.  This track I couldn't find a stream of and kind of spaced what the track sounded like when I relistened to it last week before it shipped.  The lone Australian band You Am I were a bit more commercial sounding grunge rock, and I ignored them  then and upon hearing them now, nothing moved the meter.  Of course "commercial" grunge in 1991, had a totally different meaning only a short year later.  These bands and labels were happy to put out stuff of cassette quality on record in the tradition of punk rock. 

Odds and ends on the way to "bigger" things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)