Joni Mitchell-The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975)


 

Artist: Joni Mitchell

Title: The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Label: Asylum

Format: LP

Cat #: 7E-1051

Year of Release: 1975

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1975 Embossed gatefold cover, Columbia Terre Haute pressing

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 9/2/21

Sell Price: $4.99

Discogs Last Sold: 4/9/21 VG/VG+ $5.56

Low: $1.00

Median: $3.00

Average: $3.13

High: $5.99

Current low price: $3.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 27

Have/Want: 496/166

Where Sold: Medford, OR

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought: dollar bin at Cheapos in Cambridge MA early 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

This is one of those records I've found impenetrable for decades.  I first heard it around 1976-7 when my dad took it out of the library after reading about it in Stereo Review.  He was into Tom Waits around that time, and this was the type of rock record he'd check out.  

I found a used copy in good shape in a dollar bin at some point when I lived in Boston.  At that point I had Blue and Court and Spark.  Blue I like a bit more, and that is still my favorite by her.  Those records were NOT difficult for me to like.  Still, this one never made it past a play back then and I gave it another chance buying a remastered HDCD at some point in the aughts.  Despite 40 years of effort, my brain was not able to latch on to this music.

Having sold the vinyl this week, I gave it a headphones listen last night and TWO open air, focused listens today to try to finally get a handle on The Hissing Of Summer Lawns.  I still feel like I'm only scratching the surface.  The side openers have a similar layered jazz pop vocal.  I guess the opening "In France They Kiss On Main Street" is the closest thing to an accessible chorus.  Rolling, rolling, rock and rolling with Crosby and Nash backing her.  James Taylor is on guitar in the title track.

For me, the thing that that jumps out every time are the instrumental interludes.  The drums that open "The Jungle Line" by the Warrior Drums of Burundi and the keyboard playing from Joe Sample on "Harry's House/Centerpiece" can't be denied.  I'm not pouring over lyrics.  I know someone would crack a ruler over my hands for saying that.

Sometimes love of high art can't be forced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)