Int'l Shades-Hash Wednesday (2005)


 

Artist: Int'l Shades

Title: Hash Wednesday

Label: Cass

Format: CD

Cat #: MAMA-018

Year of Release: 2005

Country and Year of Edition Issue:US 2005

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 7/27/21

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 2/7/21

Low: $1.99

Median: $2.00

Average:$2.00

High: $2.00

Current low price: $3.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 8

Have/Want: 16/8

Where Sold: Dunkirk, NY

Time it took to sell:10 years

Where and When Bought: promo by band for booking

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go: No

Int'l Shades were a super group in the early aughts consisting of Mark C. from Live Skull, Tim Foljahn from a bunch of "downtown" affiliated things including the Cat Power story I wrote last week and the guy that I set up a gig with, Bob Bert of early Sonic Youth and Pussy Galore fame.  I

I was booking the Heroine Sheiks the time this came out and set up a show at Trash Bar in Brooklyn with them, my band Saint Bastard and Bob's new band Int'l Shades.  Being the Sheiks booker at the time, I got them their minimum, the sound guy and the house got their health cut of a full Sheiks room. Of course, there was no money left for either of our bands, which Bob was pissed about so I gave him $20 out of my pocket while he was packing his station wagon,  effectively paying $20 to play between these two musical titans.  Although I was anti-polling at the door, Trash Bar gave me the biggest polling my band ever had at the door, oddly enough.  Sometimes it's that weird intersection of friends that might not come out for the Sheiks, and certainly would not come out only for my band, but would come out for a full night of entertainment that can pad out a bill.    I think if it was some other promoter I would've made a hundred bucks to split 4 ways that night by even the most draconian paying standards.  One can dream!  Remember kids, tip buckets and free gigs can be your friend. 

So anyway, I was listening to a rip of this in headphones this morning.  I can't remember the music from the era, but two things stood out.  One was the pleasant organ of Dorien Garry who played with Ted Leo before this.  The other was the stand out use of the word "violence" in a very unviolent singing manner on more than one occasion by Mark C.  Live Skull were big for me especially the song "Cross Out With The Light" from Dusted.  Somehow, I completely forgot he was also involved in this band, even while listening to it today.  There isn't much on the web, but the Lee Renaldo-style laconic vocal of "Ride This Ride" is available for you to judge whether you want to track this down.

Judging the record on it's own merits, it was a pleasant experience that was short lived in the mid-aughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)