Various Artists-Blast Off (1982)


 

Artist: Various Artists (Melissa Manchester, Ray Parker Jr., Billy Idol, Genesis, Van Halen, A Flock of Seagulls, Steel Breeze, 38 Special, Kansas, Tane Cain, Haircut One Hundred, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, John Cougar)

Title: Blast Off

Label: K-Tel

Format: LP

Cat #: TU-2960

Year of Release: 1982

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1982

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 4/10/21

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 1/17/21 $9.99 NM/NM

Low: $1.00

Median: $3.50

Average: $4.30

High: $9.99

Current low price: $3.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 13

Have/Want: 633/22

Where Sold: Walnutport, PA

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: given in a stack of discarded albums

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: F

Sad To See It Go: No

"You can tell it's Y-Tel.  It'll Never Sell."-Firesign Theater

I didn't bother to listen to this when it sold before it went out.  I didn't have to, I know all these songs from tracking American Top 40 from 1979-1984 or so.  This is a credible overview of those Top 40 hits from 1982, but did I feel the need to actively listen?

Well I bought "Paperlate" as a 7", so I guess that was my favorite of these hits back in '82 as an 11/12 year old.  I also had Joan Jett's I Love Rock 'n Roll on LP and of course VH's Diver Down I would crank up at the time.  I also collected Billboard number one albums so had Cougar's American Fool.  

I convinced myself that I didn't remember the "alternative" Haircut One Hundred, but it indeed graced the bottom of Kasey Kasem's chart peaking at #38, so of course I remember that "ay-yie-yie-yie" track.

Most of this is permanent pharmacy background noise, if they bother to play music.  If you want to call it music.    A merge of AOR stalwarts like 38 Special, "new rock" like A Flock of Seagulls, lite R&B like Ray Parker Jr.,soulless musical one hit wonder spam like Tane Cain and the soul crushing Melissa Manchester that opens the record.

Somebody bought this for pleasure.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)