Suckdog "I'm Going To Be Married" b/w Smog "My Shell/Astronaut" (1991)


Artist:Suckdog/Smog

Label: #1 Hits

Format: 7" split single

Cat #: HIT 001

Year of Release: 1991

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1991

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 3/24/21

Sell Price: $14.99

Discogs Last Sold: 2/13/21 NM/VG+ $12.00

Low: $10.00

Median: $13.30

Average: $15.01

High: $32.94 NM/NM 2/9/18

Current low price: $14.75

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 5

Have/Want: 113/171

Where Sold: Durham, NC

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: Boston Newbury Comics new $3.99

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No 

 
Battle of the lo-fi all stars.  Suckdog vs. Smog.  Of course, Suckdog wins handily.  The spirit of Costes looms over the side, whether he is actually there or not.  I was just having a conversation with a friendly lass who asserted that the French are sexy as fuck.  She exclaimed, "You will get wine and VD and enjoy them both!."  I never thought of it that way, but Costes immediately sprung to mind.  I think it might be a little different from a man's perspective.

I arrived late one night Suckdog was playing in her glory years at the Middle East  upstairs.  This was the Drug Are Nice era and cat litter was all over the place when I got there.  I was so angry, and yet a little sad also.  I think I mistimed my arrival.  I had to turn to Rollerderby for a decade after that to get my vicarious thrill of the New Hampshire underbelly.  Carver may be my favorite of the era, up there with Jim Goad and Peter Davis for cover-to-cover 90's zine reading.  Read, not skimmed and for pleasure, not out of boredom.

Smog got slicker as the years progressed, but his side represents the early years of distorto lo-fi.  More balladeer than a Costes-style media pervert.  Maybe a bit to the left of Sendridoh. I remember liking his song "Red Apple Falls" on a Drag City night at Tramps in the mid 90's and bought that album after ignoring him a bit.  As the years went by, I ignored him some more and  Bill Callahan morphed into a respectable individual revered by Mojo Magazine.  

Respectable that is if you don't want to drink too much wine wine or contract VD.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)