Foreigner-Double Vision (1978)


 


Artist: Foreigner

Title: Double Vision

Label: Atlantic

Format: LP

Cat #: SD 19999

Year of Release: 1978

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1978 Preswell Pressing

Listed Condition: VG+/G water damage on right corner

Sell Price: $2.99 

Discogs Last Sold:  1/12/21 $3.33 VG/VG

Low: $2.49

Median: $3.00

Average: $3.47

High:  $6.12

Current low price: $1.99 VG/G+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 25

Have/Want: 1369/54

Where Sold:  Doral, FL

Time it took to sell:  5  years

Where and When Bought: birthday gift 1978

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

May 30th, 1979, my 9th birthday, I received the Blues Brothers-Briefcase Full of Blues and another album on the Atlantic imprint.  That's right, the previous years Foreigner album Double Vision.  I knew the hits "Hot Blooded" and the title track that opened each side as well as "Blue Morning Blue Day."  I quickly memorized the rest.

I always thought Double Vision was better start to finish compared with the debut I wrote about a few months back.  I have to say, that one went up in my estimation and this one went a bit down.  What I've forgotten over the years was that side 2 was decidedly weaker and the supposedly "perfect" side 1 was not as good as my childhood self thought.

The bands ballads have a bit of a sap factor that became the entrenched part of their insufferable, unavoidable hitmaking as the 80's progressed.  I gave a pass to "You're All I Am" as a kid, it's harder to do so now. "Back Where You Belong" and "Love Has Taken It's Toll" still hold up.  

Side 2 after the hit has the instrumental  “Tramotane”  which sounds like it was used a background for a late  night movie theme music on a VHF station.  The rest get sorta hard rock in a memorable, forgettable way.  I remember them when I hear them, and forget them when I look at the track list.

You never forget your first Foreigner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)