Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice-Jesus Christ Superstar (1970)


 

Artist: Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice

Title: Jesus Christ Superstar

Label: Decca

Format: 2LP

Cat #: DXSA 7206

Year of Release: 1970

Country and Year of Edition Issue:  US 1970

Listed Condition: VG+/G+ spine damaged

Sell Date: 3/13/21

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 2/28/21 M/NM $75.99

Low: $1.00

Median: $8.50

Average: $15.11

High:  $75.99

Current low price: $0.83 F/G+, $1.43 VG/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:  143

Have/Want: 7278/174

Where Sold:  Doral, FL

Time it took to sell: 5 years

Where and When Bought: dollar bin somewhere late 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

Since I wasn't raised in a religious household, this double album I heard constantly over an early childhood friends house was an obsession of mine.  Flogging!  Hammering nails into hands and feet on a wooden plank!   It was a world unlike any I could ever see.

Ian Gillan made his Deep Purple debut with In Rock this year, but he also was Jesus Christ many forget.  The highlight of the album is The 39 Lashes, later made popular by Cows.  But even during the points where this lengthy double record lags, there is always something to reel me back in.  Even soon-to-be Disco Diva Yvonne Elliman's "I Don't Know How To Love Him" has a campy pathos I find oddly enjoyable.  Disturbingly, I always thought Evan Dando would do a good version of "Everything's Alright."  WBCN also used "What's The Buzz" in  daily announcement news filler.  I never bought the album until I saw it in a dollar bin in later years. Even subliminal melodies involving Judas and King Herod drift out of my mind from time to time.

From my 5 year old perspective there was variety and creepy voices to go with a fantastical world of parables.  But a child's fantasy world is literal minded.  The crowd demands an execution from Pilate.  The collective mass must be made whole.  The deviant of societal norms will be dragged before all and bought to "justice."  An example must be made!   Can the collective societal thirst for blood be tempered with a merely a flogging?  

I think I even asked my anti-spanking parents why Pilate was whipping Christ.  Some of my friends still got "the belt" in the early 70's.    I got a straightforward answer I can only paraphrase now.  Pontius Pilate was trying to stave off an execution.  It seemed an honorable solution one in his position would make, but the people still wanted more.  Authority is not absolute and can be overridden.  A blunt life lesson for a 5 year old.  One that plays out time and time again.

Crucify! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)